Another great log from Ed (uhhh...I mean Ralph)

  • Jim Olson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
      The Badge & the Butterfly  found COULD BE TOUGH (Traditional Cache) at 10/8/2004

      Log Date: 10/8/2004
      What a difference a day makes...

      Too rushed for time, I missed FTF yesterday.
      When I got home from work last night, I saw another cacher beat me to finding it. That led to a sleepless night of tossing and turning. "How could I have missed it?!?". I visualized the area, going over the hunt over and over and over in my mind. Finally it hit me at 3am!! Of course! "Micro of a different kind/blends in well"...it's the water pipe I saw near the parking area!!! How could I not have figured it out?!?!?

      I finally got to sleep just about the time my alarm clock went off.

      Putting off my excitement all day, I waited until after work to go back (and I saw Rock found it in the mean time...dang it...that bumps be to #3).

      I got there just after 6pm. I parked at the water pipe so I could use my car as concealment. I checked my GPS. Hmmmm...the coordinates are really off...but this HAS to be it. I checked all around the pipes, knowing it was a micro and could be hidden anywhere.. No luck. AhhhHa! The pipe must have to be pulled out of the ground. I pulled and tugged, but it wouldn't budge. Wow. Rock must have really pushed it into the ground.
      Luckily, I have a tow chain in my Ford Explorer. I wrapped the chain around the pipe, and hooked it to my tow hitch. I backed away and was jolted to a dead stop. That pipe wasn't moving. It's instances like this when I'm glad my Ford had push button 4-wheel drive. Push a button...hit the gas, and bingo...the pipe was yanked free.......
      Wait a minute...where's all the water pouring from??? Uh oh! That wasn't a fake water main after all...my bad.

      The good news is the channel is now freely flowing with water and since I don't live in Butte County, my water bill ain't going up. The bad news is I can't log this under my real name until the statute of limitations expires.
      Ed (uhhh...I mean Ralph)
      The Badge & The Butterfly

      ps: parts of the above story may have been slightly fictionalized
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
        Maybe we can e-mail Ed our details when we find a cache.  Then we could give him some cash to write our logs.  He could have a little side business making our logs funny also!  "Cash for Cache logs"

        Jim Olson <ka6aru@...> wrote:
[...]

        Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

      • Donald Liddiard
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
          Hey uh...Ralph, it was the OTHER pipe you should have been working on... oh well, thanks for the running water. Staying awake all night over a cache... sick puppy!! Who would ever do that?????  And who would be spotted by a spy muggle at 7:30 am at the cache site... must be another sick puppy!!!!!!!!!  :o)  Rock   p.s. Hey KA6ARU, great clue... Rock likes it!  And I swear, I just wanted to make sure it was well hidden just after daylight, that's all... and I AM NOT Obsessive-Compulsive!! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not, ...................   Rock

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2004
            Hey Rock...
            Just keep telling yourself that... Maybe you'll believe it some day...
            Jim

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
              I went later in the day and there was no one. No cars, just us FTF newbies. Jackrat