Re: [NUTS] Rattlesnakes

  • thrak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25 7:59 PM
      Over the years I've encountered a few snakes in Upper Park - ALL of them have been rattlesnakes. I've seen big ones and little bitty baby ones. I leave them alone. I encountered a pretty fair sized one up there in September of 2005 while at the Cement or Concrete cache and that's pretty low down in the Upper Park - very near to Horseshoe Lake.  I saw an absolutely HUGE snake behind Hooker Oak one time but that's not really Upper Park and the snake wasn't a rattler. Just go online and look at pictures of snakes. A rattlesnake is fairly easy to recognize.

      Valerie wrote:

      I had my first snake encouter in Upper Park today - it didn't rattle -
      does that mean it definitely wasn't a rattlesnake? are there any
      markings I can be aware of? This slitherin was guarding a cache and
      didn't back off inspite of a shoo with a stick so I backed off
      instead. I would like to be better prepared next time on what to look
      for.

      Thanks,
      Valerie