Re: [NUTS] Never get poison oak rash again

  • nelson143
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2007
      I read this is not true for PO and related plants like ivy and sumac.
      A quick search for these:

      Myth 2. If you eat poison ivy, you'll be protected from it in the future.

      False. It's difficult to imagine how such a dangerous myth became so widespread. Eating poison ivy can result in a serious reaction and can even be fatal. Still, every year, students repeat this myth beginning, "My uncle says..." or "My Papaw says..."

      Myth: If I eat poison ivy, I'll become immune to it in the future.
      Reality: This is not only untrue, but it can be lethal. Eating poison ivy can cause a potentially fatal allergic reaction. Some animals, including deer, happily eat poison ivy with no ill effects.