Re: [NUTS] Few: Heart Attack Slide Show - Worth 45 Seconds of Your Time

  • Yar?Yar!
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
      I have dropped the slide show into JPGs if you want to see them.  They are at http://timebender.com/heart if you are interested, as well as a clean powerpoint slideshow.  Right-click and save if you want the powerpoint slide.
    • Bryan Wright
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007

        I hadn’t realized what this was about until seeing the PPS that Yar?Yar! posted…..

        Not trying to be a wet blanket, but FYI…

        http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4535

        http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_381_,00.html#686

        http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/coughCPR.htm

        You can Google this one and find more than you ever wanted to read. There are apparently documented cases in monitored, clinical settings where this may have worked.  Both reference the Criley study mentioned in some of the internet articles. The UK Resuscitation Council states the grim reality:  “The BLS/AED Subcommittee knows of no evidence that, even if a lone patient knew that cardiac arrest had occurred, he or she would be able to maintain sufficient circulation to allow activity, let alone driving to the hospital. “

        Disclaimers:  While I know CPR (I used to be an AHA BLS instructor and have had the misfortune to be in a position to administer it a couple of times), I’m most certainly not a doctor, nor an expert on the subject.  YMMV.  Don’t read this while operating heavy machinery, etc.

        bryan

        I have dropped the slide show into JPGs if you want to see them.  They are at http://timebender.com/heart if you are interested, as well as a clean powerpoint slideshow.  Right-click and save if you want the powerpoint slide.

          I have dropped the slide show into JPGs if you want to see them.  They are at http://timebender. com/heart if you are interested, as well as a clean powerpoint slideshow.  Right-click and save if you want the powerpoint slide.

        • geospyder
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007

            Hey – your heart was in the right place (pun intended).

            Jim (geospyder)

            OK, silly me! That's what I get for forwarding what SEEMED to be important information. So the American Heart Assoc. doesn't teach it or recommend it... so,,, what do they know. anyway?! LOL Sorry folks... NEVERMIND!   Rock

            I have dropped the slide show into JPGs if you want to see them.  They are at http://timebender. com/heart if you are interested, as well as a clean powerpoint slideshow.  Right-click and save if you want the powerpoint slide.

          • Casagrande
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
              But Rock, You've got us looking and learning and as a person with risk factors
              I appreciate the nudge. So no need to apolize in my opinion. Any info we get should
              be examined and researched before we believe. I still haven't read it all or watched the
              slides but I will.

              Anne

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007

                Definite agreement here with what Anne says!  There is a lot of stuff out there, much of it good-intentioned.  In fact some of the other references noted during a search were known cardiac orgs who shared the information as well.  I think it is good to be aware of this and to consider taking a course on CPR.  Much new training surrounds AEDs and their use.  They are becoming much less expensive and widely available, and they can make a huge difference in many cases of cardiac arrest!

                And of course going out and chasing after a good Scoobert cache or two would be great medicine as well!

                bryan (The SKWERL)