Oct Event

  • Chuck Murphey
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
      Is the October event dead?????
      Chuck thewoodchuck
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2006
        It looks like no one wanted to host it this month.  We can't until after Maggie's gymnastics season is over.  We are out of town most weekends.  We are kind of out of the loop we missed the paradise event and the pyramid lake event.
        If anyone wants to host a NUTS event and can find a location for 100 plus people we should have plenty of NUTS cash to finance it.  I haven't seen an update on NUTS funds in a long time but a few events ago there was around $1,000- $1,500.
        I am not sure who has the funds Rock & Crystal had it last I heard but were talking about letting someone else handle the money.  Someone told us they thought Blucruz were the new treasurers but I haven't heard anything official.
        The hardest part of hosting an event is just finding a good place for everyone to meet.  We have a lot of great people willing to lend a hand to assist if needed.  It would be great to get a few more people involved in hosting events.  The RCGDS Sacramento group has an event every month and have had numerous hosts.
        I would hope with all the NUTS we have in our group we could find enough hosts so we could have a get together every other month or so.
        Mike
        Escapades

        Chuck Murphey <cmurphey@...> wrote:
        Is the October event dead?????
        Chuck thewoodchuck

      • gsmcelroy@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
          The October event just never materialized. There were problems with finding a suitable location large enough to handle our group on kind of short notice. An event for a group our size can't just be thrown together overnight unfortunately. I know Rock & Crystal were planning on an event for November but I haven't spoken to them recently so I'm unsure of the progress. As per the kitty goes, After a semi informal vote of those who attended the Nuts in Paradise event, I was going to be taking charge of the kitty From Rock & Crystal but because of one thing or another it just hasn't happened yet. I have some of the money but Rock & Crystal have most of it. I'll try to get a hold of them this weekend and see what the plan is for November and the kitty, and report back here.

          If anyone has or knows of places that can handle 100+ NUTS and wont charge us a crazy amount of money, please post it or e-mail me so I can start a list of Venues. Thanks ,Blucuz (Gary)
[...]

          Chuck Murphey <cmurphey@theunion. net> wrote:
          Is the October event dead?????
          Chuck thewoodchuck

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
            Gary thanks for the update. The old stand by location here in Oroville is the Chinese buffet.  They have the separate buffet room that holds over 100 and the staff did a good job at previous NUTS events working with us and the best part is they don't charge us anything for using the room.  I also liked Durham Park for outdoor events I think it was around $150 to use the covered pavillion.
            I like Gary's idea of creating a list of venues and prices that will handle our group.
            Mike
            Escapades

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                Another thing to remember is that RCGDS(River City Geocaching and Dining Society) usually have their events on the 2nd Saturday of every month. Because a lot of the NUTS are members of RCGDS as well, we do not want to schedule a NUTS event that interferes with a RCGDS event. Nov. 11th & Dec. 9th have already been tapped for RCGDS events. Blu

              • jerryw38@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 20, 2006
                  Just a reminder that all groups (especially the NUTS) will be invited to the RCGDS picnic at Micke Grove Park south of Lodi on the 2nd Sat of April (April 14th).  A larger covered area with adjacent parking, rest rooms and kids area will be available this year.
                  Please mark ur calendar.

                  Thanks  Jerry Wisenor  (jerryw38)

                  Come cache Lodi and drink wine

                  From: <gsmcelroy@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 21, 2006
                    hi all - crystal here - rock has been out of town for the better part of the last two weeks hunting up north, but is enroute home as i type...yes, a november event is in the works for the 18th, but as far as venue goes, its up in the air...we too were thinking of falling back on the chinese place in oroville...sounds like escapades are having the same idea, so it sounds good to us....any other thoughts?  i believe rock was going to make some phone calls after he returns home and will do so unless it has been done already....

                    can't wait to see you all again soon :)

                    crystal (&rock)

                    From: <gsmcelroy@sbcglobal .net>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 21, 2006
                      For that date (or any date this time of year) outdoors is getting pretty risky. Li's Chinese has the virtues of being indoors and having the banquet room provided without an extra fee. They also understand about Tanky sticking up coordinates. :-)

                      The only thing about them is that, if you want chopsticks, you had best bring your own. I usually have to hassle them at the front desk for some "to go" chopsticks. Not a big deal and I can certainly bring a pair of two of the "to go" type for my self and that cranky guy -- oh yeah, Tanky! -- who also eats with them.

                      I wonder if there will ever come a day ---- FAR in the future ---- when I'll go to one of these events and get a golden nut. At the rate I'm moving these days I'll probably be about 100 years old before that happens! It seems that most of the N.U.T.S. have slowed way down on their caching. I hope that's a trend that can be reversed.

                      -Thrak-

                      From: <gsmcelroy@sbcglobal .net>

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 21, 2006
                        The Chinese place was great, I'd go for that.  BTW Thrak, I have my own gold plated chopsticks that match my gold plated nuts.
                        YFB

                        From: <gsmcelroy@sbcglobal .net>