A question for anybody...

  • Jim Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2004

      I would like to pick everyone’s brain...

      I would like to buy an inexpensive PDA & use it with my Garmin eTrex...

      I just want to download pages for Geocaching.com & keep them with me as I hunt…

      Maybe, even buy a cable to use with my eTrex & some kind of map program…

      But what I need to know is what type of Palm (because they are a dime a dozen on eBay) should I get & what cable, or who makes an inexpensive cable for the two…?

      I contacted Garmin, but they were no help…

      TNX,

      Jim

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2004

        Hi Jim,
        We use a Dell pocket PC with pocket windows 2003.  We have a cable from our Magellan GPS to our Dell and use Mapopolis map mapping software.
        Rock & Crystal and Team Private eyes each use the Dell.  We also use GPX Sonar for viewing cache pages off line.
        Here is a good web page about Pocket geocaching
        http://www.mdgps.org/pocketcaching/  and here is where we got our cable to go from Pocket PC to our GPS
        Mapopolis has a free trail version of there maps, I liked it so much I bought it after we used it for a while
        Here is the link for GPX Sonar

        There seems to be a lot of good options out there, the hard part is picking one out you want to use.
        Going paperless has lots of advantages, I update my Pocket Queries every week and always have the 500 closest caches to Oroville, Redding and Sacramento, just in case we go somewhere we have the cache pages with us.
        Good luck,
        Mike