Delorme Challenge

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2004
      Anyone who does a lot of geocaching in Northern California may want
      to check out the Delorme Challenge (GCHANH) Its kind of fun to see
      how many area's you have found caches in. We have found caches in
      only 34 of the 104 pages. Its just another fun thing to keep track
      of if your into that stuff.
      The Delorme Northern California Atlas & Gazetteer can be found at
      Barnes and Noble or on line.
    • BootyBuddies
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2004
        With our most recent two Delorme sweep trips we have raised our Page count to 58, but our gross cache finding rate has dropped off in the process... Now we are going to have to head really north or really south to pick up more pages. Interested?

        Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
        Anyone who does a lot of geocaching in Northern California may want
        to check out the Delorme Challenge (GCHANH)  Its kind of fun to see
        how many area's you have found caches in.  We have found caches in
        only 34 of the 104 pages.  Its just another fun thing to keep track
        of if your into that stuff.
        The Delorme Northern California Atlas & Gazetteer can be found at
        Barnes and Noble or on line.

        Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Jenn Oates

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
            A quick skim shows us at about 34 pages. Not likely we'd get far
            enough south, or urban enough to get them all. We just placed a
            cache on page 30 to fill that gap, find the Goose Lake area. A
            pretty area, but it might be a December through March "adventure".
            Get it soon if you can. Baby, it's cold up there.
            Kokopeli
          • Bert & Char
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
              Hooray for Yar? Yar! What a great accomplishment! We're so proud of
              you!
              Plunk & Froggy
            • Gary Kemp
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
                Can someone explain this to me and also what the approrpiate map is
                and where to get it??
              • Gary Kemp
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
                  Can someone explain this to me and also what the approrpiate map is
                  and where to get it??
                • Gary Hobgood
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
                    Gary

                    DeLorme publishes Atlas and Gazetteer for all 50 states.  Due to its size, California is split into 2 sections.  The California North atlas has northern California divided into 104 separate pages (each page covers an area of 23.4 miles x 34.5 miles).  The California Delorme Challenge GCHANH requires us to find a physical cache on each page of the Delorme atlas.  You can learn more about the Delorme maps here:

                    The Delorme maps are available at major bookstores, REI and Amazon.com

                    Go for it.

                    Gary(&Vicky)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
                      Hi Gary,  For each of the DeLorme Challenges (and there are quite a few), there is an associated map book. For the CA DeLorme Challenge it is the DeLorme "Northern CA Atlas and Gazetteer"  you can get these books at many bookstores and outdoor stores (REI, etc).

                      Basically you have to find at least one cache in each of the quads (typically a page) within the book.  More specific requirements would be listed on the cache page for that particular Challenge.  Haicoole's cache was the original, but now there are about 50.  I have the one in NV (I think it was the second) and have included some more specific rules there.

                      It is a tremendous challenge (I think only 5 finishers so far) and is one of the most satisfying caching experiences you'll ever have.

                      bryan (The SKWERL)

                      Gary Kemp <garykemp@...> wrote:
                      Can someone explain this to me and also what the approrpiate map is
                      and where to get it??

                      Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      <*> Your email settings: