Hwy 70 4x4 swimming hole & Edgar Allen

  • blucruzfamily
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2006
      Do you take Bardees Bar Rd off Big Bend Rd to these or do you come in
      off hwy 70 somewhere? I want to head after these 2 in the next couple
      weeks. Thanks
    • Thrak
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 25, 2006
        If you go to the cache pages and then click on the Google Maps link on the left side of the page you will see that they are both on Bardees Rd and that Bardees Rd comes off of Highway 70.  Google Maps is your friend. :x

        Map for Edgar Allen???   Map for Hwy 70 4x4 Swimmin' Hole

        -=Thrak=-

        --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "blucruzfamily" <gsmcelroy@...> wrote:

        > Do you take Bardees Bar Rd off Big Bend Rd to these or do you come in
        > off hwy 70 somewhere? I want to head after these 2 in the next couple
        > weeks. Thanks

      • Gary McElroy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
          They're not both on Bardee's Bar Rd. Hwy 70 4x4
          swimming hole is but Edgar Allen is off another road
          off Bardees Bar....nothing against them in the cities
          but I quit trusting Google, Mapquest, Yahoo etc, ever
          since I've rescued people on Skyway & Humbug Summit
          road because it shows that being a main road to hwy 32
          & 89. Not good when people get up on the dirt roads 20
          miles form nowhere in their cadillac's which Google
          etc. show as primary roads. I try to stick to Quad
          maps or DeLorme when out of the cities. I just don't
          have the quad for that particular area.

          --- Thrak <thrak@...> wrote:

          > If you go to the cache pages and then click on the
          > Google Maps link on
          > the left side of the page you will see that they are
          > both on Bardees Rd
          > and that Bardees Rd comes off of Highway 70. Google
          > Maps is your
          > friend. [:x]
          >
          > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
          > Map for Edgar
          > Allen???
          > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
          > Map for
          > Hwy 70 4x4 Swimmin' Hole
          > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.7701+-121.45852>
          >

          > -=Thrak=-
          >

          > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:nuts_@yahoogroups.com> ,
          > "blucruzfamily" <gsmcelroy@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Do you take Bardees Bar Rd off Big Bend Rd to
          > these or do you come in
          > > off hwy 70 somewhere? I want to head after these 2
          > in the next couple
          > > weeks. Thanks

        • Raymond
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
            I don't know about Hwy70 4X4 SW, but the google map for Edgar Allen
            is definitely wrong. I was just down there yesterday and the
            slipout portion was passable in 2wd. It was dry and I had pretty
            good ground clearance. PG&E still uses the road regularly. Hwy70-
            Big Bend Rd-Bardees Bar-then rt onto a private rd down to the bridge
            to the powerhouse. It is really pretty easy. From what I
            understand you would stay on Bardees and keep going to get to Hwy70
            4X4 SW, but mr,b told me about a 4wd shortcut you can take right off
            Hwy70 and drop right in on it. We'll have to check with him. Let
            me know when you're going in - maybe I'll follow along.

            --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Gary McElroy <gsmcelroy@...> wrote:

            > They're not both on Bardee's Bar Rd. Hwy 70 4x4
            > swimming hole is but Edgar Allen is off another road
            > off Bardees Bar....nothing against them in the cities
            > but I quit trusting Google, Mapquest, Yahoo etc, ever
            > since I've rescued people on Skyway & Humbug Summit
            > road because it shows that being a main road to hwy 32
            > & 89. Not good when people get up on the dirt roads 20
            > miles form nowhere in their cadillac's which Google
            > etc. show as primary roads. I try to stick to Quad
            > maps or DeLorme when out of the cities. I just don't
            > have the quad for that particular area.
            >
            > --- Thrak <thrak@...> wrote:
            >
            > > If you go to the cache pages and then click on the
            > > Google Maps link on
            > > the left side of the page you will see that they are
            > > both on Bardees Rd
            > > and that Bardees Rd comes off of Highway 70. Google
            > > Maps is your
            > > friend. [:x]
            > >
            > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
            > > Map for Edgar
            > > Allen???
            > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
            > > Map for
            > > Hwy 70 4x4 Swimmin' Hole
            > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.7701+-121.45852>
            > >

            > > -=Thrak=-
            > >

            > > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:nuts_@yahoogroups.com> ,
            > > "blucruzfamily" <gsmcelroy@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Do you take Bardees Bar Rd off Big Bend Rd to
            > > these or do you come in
            > > > off hwy 70 somewhere? I want to head after these 2
            > > in the next couple
            > > > weeks. Thanks

          • Gary McElroy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
              Yep, that's what I've been told too. I spoke to MrB
              last night about these. and he confirmed what you just
              said. the road down from 70 is supposed to be fairly
              steep & rocky. You've seen my rig---no problem!

              ---------------------------------
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
                oh yeah, I seen it - you'll make it a fun trip for sure!!

                --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Gary McElroy <gsmcelroy@...> wrote:

                > Yep, that's what I've been told too. I spoke to MrB
                > last night about these. and he confirmed what you just
                > said. the road down from 70 is supposed to be fairly
                > steep & rocky. You've seen my rig---no problem!
                >
                > --- Raymond <rxcooper@...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > I don't know about Hwy70 4X4 SW, but the google map
                > for Edgar Allen
                > is definitely wrong. I was just down there yesterday
                > and the
                > slipout portion was passable in 2wd. It was dry and I
                > had pretty
                > good ground clearance. PG&E still uses the road
                > regularly. Hwy70-
                > Big Bend Rd-Bardees Bar-then rt onto a private rd down
                > to the bridge
                > to the powerhouse. It is really pretty easy. From
                > what I
                > understand you would stay on Bardees and keep going to
                > get to Hwy70
                > 4X4 SW, but mr,b told me about a 4wd shortcut you can
                > take right off
                > Hwy70 and drop right in on it. We'll have to check
                > with him. Let
                > me know when you're going in - maybe I'll follow
                > along.

              • Thrak
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 26, 2006
                  GAH!!!  Many thanks for the correction and humble apologies for the misinformation. I've found google maps to be extremely helpful in town - not always spot on but good for general area info. Glad to know not to trust them out of town!  :">

                  -=Thrak=-

                  --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Gary McElroy <gsmcelroy@...> wrote:

                  > They're not both on Bardee's Bar Rd. Hwy 70 4x4
                  > swimming hole is but Edgar Allen is off another road
                  > off Bardees Bar....nothing against them in the cities
                  > but I quit trusting Google, Mapquest, Yahoo etc, ever
                  > since I've rescued people on Skyway & Humbug Summit
                  > road because it shows that being a main road to hwy 32
                  > & 89. Not good when people get up on the dirt roads 20
                  > miles form nowhere in their cadillac's which Google
                  > etc. show as primary roads. I try to stick to Quad
                  > maps or DeLorme when out of the cities. I just don't
                  > have the quad for that particular area.
                  >
                  > --- Thrak thrak@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you go to the cache pages and then click on the
                  > > Google Maps link on
                  > > the left side of the page you will see that they are
                  > > both on Bardees Rd
                  > > and that Bardees Rd comes off of Highway 70. Google
                  > > Maps is your
                  > > friend. [:x]
                  > >
                  > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
                  > > Map for Edgar
                  > > Allen???
                  > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.72727+-121.4684>
                  > > Map for
                  > > Hwy 70 4x4 Swimmin' Hole
                  > > <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.7701+-121.45852>
                  > >

                  > > -=Thrak=-
                  > >

                  > > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:nuts_@yahoogroups.com ,
                  > > "blucruzfamily" gsmcelroy@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Do you take Bardees Bar Rd off Big Bend Rd to
                  > > these or do you come in
                  > > > off hwy 70 somewhere? I want to head after these 2
                  > > in the next couple
                  > > > weeks. Thanks

                • Jack Warson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
                    Well Gary how was the rally skool over in Nevada this last weekend. Was it
                    worth going over to it or not. They are going to have another one on May 21.
                    With our tight weekend schedule we would have to drive over and back on the
                    same day so we can make back to work on Monday. I just wanted to know what
                    you learned: Driving skills, GPSr skills and navigational options?? With the
                    gas prices' going up every day and the long drive in your opinion is it
                    worth it. Thanks for your help and maybe if we do this we could keep up
                    with your dust. Jack