Re: [NUTS] Re: FW: Accepting Registrations for 2006 GBES Geocaching & Navigation

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hey guy, definitely you need soap!!! :o) No geojunk needed for these caches, they are usually a brick in the desert with a word on it. There probably will be a "rally school" before the event to teach newbies and refresh oldies! No TBs needed either. HOWEVER before and after the rally there are any caches in the area to build your numbers, some of those are big enough for TBs and geojunk. You need no extra lights on the vehicle, but you do need some nice strong flashlites, extra batteries for the gps and maybe even a lap top if you have one (but not necessary). I brought a 1,000,000 candle power beam last year and never used it... the caches are usually far enough into the desert that that wouldn't help. No information will be available on the hides until the morning of (or night of)... we will turn in our GPSs and they will have routes and offset waypoints downloaded into them, then we will get them back at the starting line. The driver sits tight in the vehicle while the navigator or runner goes for the caches. You don't need to know much about off roading except how to avoid holes and sharp rocks, and watch for soft sand. Your points are given for finds AND even more important, you get points for your speed... there is predetermined time to complete each leg, and if you come in too soon or too late you will have points taken away (think you start with 1000 points). Hope that helps, not to worry, there will be plenty of information as time approaches for the rally.  Don

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
        Hey Jack, Check the date setting on your computer.
        your e-mails are saying it's July 2, 2006.
        Gary

        --- Jack Warson <jwarson@...> wrote:

[...]

        Hobby
        and craft supply