Re: [NUTS] Re: FW: Accepting Registrations for 2006 GBES Geocaching & Navigation

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2006
      To BluCruzFamily, glad to hear your are planning to go, and to all the NUTS, we hope a bunch of you will sign up for this most delightful challenge. I suggest you make reservation in Carson City or even better in Gardnerville ASAP. Something is going on in CC that weekend of the 16-18th of June and things are booking up fast. The rally is a blast, and if you enjoy the desert (or even if you don't) it's a fun experience. 4 wheeling out there is the best! We just spent last weekend out there in the Dead Camel Mountain range with a bunch of GBES cachers following parts of last years day and night rallies and it was amazing! You don't have to be a great off road enthusiast, just have a good solid vehicle with four wheel drive, and some clearance... stock and standard on most SUVs, trucks and jeep style vehicles is good enough (just not your mother's Saturn!) You also need to be prepared to pick up a bit of Nevada pin striping on that favorite vehicle. The rally is separated into a day and a night rally, in which you will traverse the desert using incredible routes and find caches along the way. This year the Great Basin and Eastern Sierra group (GBES) will be offering one free entry fee to a new team (that has not run the rally before) for each of the groups who will participate in the rally... including the NUTS. We will have a drawing shortly to determine who is the winner. Do let us (Rock&Crystal) know if you plan to participate so we can include you in the drawing. Also this year, a new category and a revolving trophy will go to the winning team* making top points over all in the rally. (*ie: NUTS, RCGDS, GBES, RCGDS) So what we need is a bunch of NUTS who wanna grab a fun adventure and go play in the desert and find some caches along the way. If you have questions ask away. We have participated both years since the inception and even though we usually come in around 6th to 10th to ?? it's not about the winning, but a whole lot of fun and some great folks!! So brush off that 4X4 or grab someone with one, wax up the sides so the pin stripes aren't too deep and lets go romping in the desert!! Rock&Crystal

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2006
        Ok Rock, I've got all the forms and I already have reservations at
        the Village hotel in Gardnerville. We definately want to do the
        team thing too. Should we send in our individual forms now and worry
        about the team form later or ?????

        --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, <redhawk2853@...> wrote:

        > To BluCruzFamily, glad to hear your are planning to go, and to all
        the NUTS, we hope a bunch of you will sign up for this most
        delightful challenge. I suggest you make reservation in Carson City
        or even better in Gardnerville. Something is going on in CC that
[...]
      • Bryan Wright
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2006
          When you send in your fees, you need to send in your paperwork as well. For
          a competition team, that would be the Vehicle form, individual forms for
          each team member (Driver & Navigator as well as any passengers you'd be
          taking), and finally a team form. On the team form, you'd be able to
          designate NUTS as your "Club" for the Points Series competition.

          So that means that each team competing for NUTS can send in their stuff
          whenever they want to just as long as they mark the NUTS box on the team
          form.

          Hopefully that makes sense?

          bryan (The SKWERL)

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
            Hey guy, definitely you need soap!!! :o) No geojunk needed for these caches, they are usually a brick in the desert with a word on it. There probably will be a "rally school" before the event to teach newbies and refresh oldies! No TBs needed either. HOWEVER before and after the rally there are any caches in the area to build your numbers, some of those are big enough for TBs and geojunk. You need no extra lights on the vehicle, but you do need some nice strong flashlites, extra batteries for the gps and maybe even a lap top if you have one (but not necessary). I brought a 1,000,000 candle power beam last year and never used it... the caches are usually far enough into the desert that that wouldn't help. No information will be available on the hides until the morning of (or night of)... we will turn in our GPSs and they will have routes and offset waypoints downloaded into them, then we will get them back at the starting line. The driver sits tight in the vehicle while the navigator or runner goes for the caches. You don't need to know much about off roading except how to avoid holes and sharp rocks, and watch for soft sand. Your points are given for finds AND even more important, you get points for your speed... there is predetermined time to complete each leg, and if you come in too soon or too late you will have points taken away (think you start with 1000 points). Hope that helps, not to worry, there will be plenty of information as time approaches for the rally.  Don

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
              Hey Jack, Check the date setting on your computer.
              your e-mails are saying it's July 2, 2006.
              Gary

              --- Jack Warson <jwarson@...> wrote:

[...]

              Hobby
              and craft supply