Re: [NUTS] Which PDA do you use?

  • Bill Hoke
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
      I use a M505.I've had no problems and the price was
      right,free! Thanks Qattales. billandlore

      --- Thrak <thrak@...> wrote:

      > I've been using an old Palm Vx for paperless
      > caching. It's inexpensive
      > so if I break it I don't have to be depressed. I
      > actually did break one
      > and bought another one on eBay for pretty cheap. The
      > first one worked
      > flawlessly and was all I ever needed for caching.
      > The second one tends
      > to lock up once in a while and I also have to
      > recalibrate it frequently.
      > Bah.
      >
      > I'm wondering what other folks use for paperless
      > caching and why they
      > prefer that specific device.
      >
      > -=Thrak=-

    • Anne and Gary (CASAS)
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
        I use an iPAQ Pocket PC and probably don't know how to do half
        of what it does but I'll learn eventually. I also have MS Streets and Pocket Streets.
        I haven't been using it since I bought Mapsource. What I do is load the query
        into GSAK. Export to MS Streets which then has a place in the menu to export
        to Pocket Streets. The plus there is looking at the map on the desktop pc screen
        and printing if I wish  from there. I also export HTML file from GSAK to the iPAQ.

        Now I usually skip MS Streets and just export to Mapsource
        on the desktop pc. From there I send the waypoints to the Garmin(s).
        It's pretty quick now that I know what I want.

        Hope that made sense because though I freely admit being a nerd I don't think
        I am a good one cuz I haven't the knowledge the real nerds have LOL.

        All interesting reading on the bomb squad on the list when we got home last night. Had a few emails with folks before it hit the list but then went SNOWSHOEING! That's our new caching passion. Latest find was
        Putt's Picturesque Pond.

        Anne of Casas

        Pat or Bert Hall <bnphall@...> wrote:
        Hi Bob,

        Just saw your email to Thrak.  I have MS streets and pocket.  I could never figure out how to download the push pins to the pocket PC.  Can you lead me thru it.  Thanks,
        Pat of YFBTanky
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2006
          Hey Thrak...
          I got a Palm IIIx off of eBay for only $38.00 so that's what I've been using for the last year... It was a refurbished unit, so it won't hurt to bad if I damage it... And I use Plucker & GSAK to log the pocket queries...
          Work great...
          Jim
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2006
            Hello Tanky, I'd be happy to help.

            It took a lot of reading and failed attempts but it was eventually worth it and it ends up being pretty easy... Here is how I do it.

            Open your geocaching.com .gpx querie file in GSAK.
            Under the file menu open the export tab and select the pocket streets .psp file.
            It will open a dialog box asking where you want to save the file on your computer.
            Here is the tricky part, the .psp filename must match the pocket streets mapset filename exactly, including capitol letters if the mapset filename has them. ( I.E. your pocket streets mapset file is Oroville.mbs the pushpin file must be Oroville.psp )  Drop that .psp file into the same directory on your Pocket PC as the mapset file you are using and open pocket streets and your cache pushpins will be on the map with the cache names so you could look up the cache name in GPS Sonar and see if you want to attempt finding it.  Very handy when trying to figure where to go next or see the newer roads in an area.
            If you use several mapsets in pocket streets like I do, you may have to export a couple of pushpin, (.psp) files) from GSAK and name each one to match your mapset name.

            I hope this helps,

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
              I too use a Tungsten E color and think it works great for cache
              queries. I have thousands of caches listed by area in mine.

              It has not been successful using the National Geogrphic TOPO map
              series. That is mostly due to the inferior nature of the map
              software as opposed to the small screen, etc. I found that all the
              claims and features of the California TOPO series, Backroads TOPO,
              and Pocket TOPO don't apply to handheld devices. The claimed
              features only apply to the computer. The software is little more
              than a bitmap picture on the handheld devices. As an example, there
              is NO WAY to import waypoints into the Palm, not even with the map.

              I have tried some "road Map" software on the Palm also which worked
              well in a manner similar to MapQuest but it is no good for geocaching
              since an address must be input and there is no allowance for
              waypoints or coordinate input.

              If someone out there has a suggested software for mapping geocache
              use on the Palm, I am interested in hearing about it.

              My Tungsten E color has done very well in what it claims it can do, I
              have no complaints about it. Battery time is not a problem when
              doing caching but could become a problem when playing games, music,
              or in continual use. It does last longer than most GPSr units as far
              as power goes, even under full use.

              Have Fun!
              Mr. boodlebuggy

              --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "nelson143" <nelson143@...> wrote:

              > I have a Palm Tungsten E, which I really like. It wasn't too
              expensive, and is full color, which makes it easy on the eyes.
              > It has enough memory for several games (and Cachemate, natch), and
              I have a 1gb expansion card what holds over a hundred songs for the
              drive in the car from cache-to-cache.
              > The only downside is the unit's battery charge isn't great, but I
              have a car charger for when the battery is low.
              > Ed
              > TB&TB

            • Gary Hobgood
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2006
                I too use a Tungsten E.  I used a Tungsten C for a while but the battery life became a problem before the unit crashed completely.  The Tungsten E has been a dependable work horse for me.

                I use Mapopolis on my PDA  http://www.mapopolis.com/  When used in comjunction with GSAK, the map software is a great geocaching tool.

                Gary(&Vicky)