Re: [NUTS] Itchy & Scratchy

  • Jim Olson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
      Hey, TNX Gary...
      I'm looking at the site right now...
      Jim
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 8:14 AM
      Subject: Re: [NUTS] Itchy & Scratchy

      Don't you just hate it when you finally have your hands on the cache you have been desparately searching for and realize you have your face planted in a bunch of poison oak.  Here's a link to help those not familiar with the "three leaf devil plant".  http://www.knoledge.org/oak/identify.html

      Gary&Vicky
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
        Actually, we hear that you can ask our resident poison oak guru Mike of the Escapades.  Not only does he know what the plant looks like, but he understands all of the symptoms as well....also knows a little about junipers too, we might add Winking smiley emoticon

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
          It sounds like there is a GOOD story that goes with his knowledge...
          I can't wait to hear it...
          Jim

          PS... TNX Don & are you guys back yet?

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
            So far I'm lucky that I don't catch PO. I can just pick off the leaves and still not get it.  This time of year it is pretty bad in the Cherokee area and around Oroville. Ed, revenge for thinking of scaring us at one of the caches this weekend.  Jackrat
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
              Rock & Crystal taught me how to identify poison oak, its really simple.  Poison oak is a small plant, or large bush but it can grow as a vine up into a tree.  The leaves are red, except when they are green, or reddish green, or when they fall on the ground and turn yellow, so as you can see it is quite easy to identify.
              They also taught me how to identify junipers, they are a tall skinny tree except when they are a short bush, but they are always green.
              I hope these tricks for identifing plant life in the northstate come in handy. (LOL)
              Mike

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                Thank you Mike...
                You would NOT believe how much better it is now that you have told us all that...
                I can breath a lot easier now...
                I will have no fear going out caching again...
                TNX again,
                Jim

              • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                  I have written my congressman in an attempt to have poison oak declared a public menace in hopes to having it completly removed from California (I vote to ship it to Oregon...they can use the money thay save on not having a sales tax to buy calamine lotion).

                  Ed (& Julie)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                      I've done the math, just not the hike!! Smiley emoticon

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 13, 2004
                        I was always told "leaves of three, leave it be" but then I started noticing other plants with three leaves like the blackberry and some roses, so I guess it works for those as well. Although that won't help when it loses it leaves.

                        Jeo
                      • Jack Warson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 15, 2004
                          The math and the Hike was great.  But there is some poison oak around the area of the cache.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16, 2004
                            Hey Jack, want you to know your direct line thinks we are spam... which, of course... we could be!!! Have tried to send you several emails but they keep bouncing back... maybe it's that "Rock&Crystal" stuff that your spamamatic doesn't think you should hear about!! Tell 'em to lower the guard! ;o) R&C