Re: [NUTS] Itchy & Scratchy

  • Jim Olson
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004

      Okay, but you need to warn everyone!!!

      What cache did you get into poison oak?

      You know about us transplants from the Orange County area... I never saw any poison oak, poison ivy or stuff like that living in Anaheim most of my life...

      I did hear that there is poison oak near my “CAN U HEAR ME NOW” cache… But not to many people will do the math to find it…

      Jim

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
        Don't you just hate it when you finally have your hands on the cache you have been desparately searching for and realize you have your face planted in a bunch of poison oak.  Here's a link to help those not familiar with the "three leaf devil plant".  http://www.knoledge.org/oak/identify.html

        Gary&Vicky

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
          Hey, TNX Gary...
          I'm looking at the site right now...
          Jim

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
            Actually, we hear that you can ask our resident poison oak guru Mike of the Escapades.  Not only does he know what the plant looks like, but he understands all of the symptoms as well....also knows a little about junipers too, we might add Winking smiley emoticon

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
              It sounds like there is a GOOD story that goes with his knowledge...
              I can't wait to hear it...
              Jim

              PS... TNX Don & are you guys back yet?

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2004
                So far I'm lucky that I don't catch PO. I can just pick off the leaves and still not get it.  This time of year it is pretty bad in the Cherokee area and around Oroville. Ed, revenge for thinking of scaring us at one of the caches this weekend.  Jackrat
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                  Rock & Crystal taught me how to identify poison oak, its really simple.  Poison oak is a small plant, or large bush but it can grow as a vine up into a tree.  The leaves are red, except when they are green, or reddish green, or when they fall on the ground and turn yellow, so as you can see it is quite easy to identify.
                  They also taught me how to identify junipers, they are a tall skinny tree except when they are a short bush, but they are always green.
                  I hope these tricks for identifing plant life in the northstate come in handy. (LOL)
                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                    Thank you Mike...
                    You would NOT believe how much better it is now that you have told us all that...
                    I can breath a lot easier now...
                    I will have no fear going out caching again...
                    TNX again,
                    Jim

                  • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                      I have written my congressman in an attempt to have poison oak declared a public menace in hopes to having it completly removed from California (I vote to ship it to Oregon...they can use the money thay save on not having a sales tax to buy calamine lotion).

                      Ed (& Julie)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 12, 2004
                          I've done the math, just not the hike!! Smiley emoticon

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 13, 2004
                            I was always told "leaves of three, leave it be" but then I started noticing other plants with three leaves like the blackberry and some roses, so I guess it works for those as well. Although that won't help when it loses it leaves.

                            Jeo
                          • Jack Warson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 15, 2004
                              The math and the Hike was great.  But there is some poison oak around the area of the cache.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 16, 2004
                                Hey Jack, want you to know your direct line thinks we are spam... which, of course... we could be!!! Have tried to send you several emails but they keep bouncing back... maybe it's that "Rock&Crystal" stuff that your spamamatic doesn't think you should hear about!! Tell 'em to lower the guard! ;o) R&C