Re: Fw: [GBESGeocachers] Major Changes to Geocaching.com publishing guidelines

  • Dawn
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 3, 2005
      p.s...when does this take place?

      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <emsdawn21@y...> wrote:

      > Well that's kinda bummer.....I love going and seeing to cool virtuals.
      > It's one of my favorite parts of caching. 'Cause normally I would
      > never go to those places.
      >
      > -
      > - In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "geo_thrak" <geo_thrak@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yep. Virtual caches and webcam caches are no longer being accepted
      > at geocaching.com - they have become waymarks instead of geocaches.
      > ONLY physical containers will be accepted as NEW geocaches.
      > >
      > > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn" <emsdawn21@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > When you said this, ".. if it's a special or important place with no
      > > > physical cache, it's waymarking." are you talking like Virtuals?

      > > > shared is from GBES (Great Basin and Eastern Sierra) and sent out by
      > > > NVroadrunner (a Nevada cache approver). Haven't had time to digest
      > > > everything yet, but the gist is: if it's a cache with a
      container and
      > > > goodies and/or a log, it's geocaching... if it's a special or
      > > > important place with no physical cache, it's waymarking... oh,
      guess
      > > > he said just about that already! Probably take some getting used to.
      > > > Nothing is as sure as change! :o) R&C

      Waymarking
      > will no

      > > > proceeds go to producing GBES special events.
      > > > http://www.cafeshops.com/gbesgeocachers

      > Service.

    • rich sasek
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 4, 2005
        Just curious. I'm easy and it sound good to me.

        Rich

        lildevil@... wrote:
        > but, Why? I mean why are these changes happening?

        The reasons are many.

        1. Locationless caches were broken. This is evidenced by the fact there has
        been a moratorium on them for almost 3 years. The geocaching.com site was
        not designed for caches to have 1,000's of logs. There was no easy way to
        see if the location you want to log was already logged. Once something was
        logged, it wasn't supposed to be logged again.

        The waymarking.com site answers those limitations. During alpha-testing,
        the waymark database was populated with millions of waypoints from a NGS
        database. When you submit a waymark, it automatically tells you if anything
        else was already logged within a mile. Once a waymark is created, it can
        then be 'visited' by others.

        Think of it this way:
        A waymark category is like a locationless cache. When someone finds
        something that fits the category, they create a waymark.
        A waymark is like a virtual cache. When someone visits the waymark, they
        log a "visit."

        2. Virtual caches were broken. This is evidenced by the fact that the
        guidelines were so tight that only a few dozen were published in the last 2
        years. The reviewers hated having to review 100 virtuals, and only be able
        to publish 1 or 2 that met the guidelines. The reviewers hated being bashed
        weekly in the forums by that someone who's virtual was denied. No the
        answer was not to change the guidelines. That would only change the
        threshold. There would still be denied virtuals. Otherwise you would have
        every streetsign, every dead animal carcass, every lost tennis ball, and
        every lost shoe, as virtual caches. Yes, one of those things, or something
        even more lame, was submitted every week!

        3. Splitting non-container caches off from geocaching.com enables
        Groundspeak to market the new site to other groups of people. We all know
        people who think geocaching is silly. But maybe those same people enjoy
        finding Covered Wagons, or Odd-Shaped Buildings, or Outdoor Wind Harps, or
        Hot Springs, or Foucault Pendulums. They just might enjoy waymarking.
        Or how about full-time RVers that travel with pets. They might find the
        "Free Overnight RV Parking Locations" and "Off-Leash Dog Areas" categories
        useful. Suddenly the market potential is several times greater. (Note my
        examples are based on current categories. New categories are being added
        every day, continuing to diversify the site.)

        4. As more and more land managing agencies discover geocaches in their
        parks, they have been enacting guidelines and rules to limit those caches.
        In several cases, they have created rules saying only virtual caches can be
        created in their parks. By removing virtual caches as an option, it
        implores these agencies to work on guidelines to allow physical caches.

        Sometimes change is good. Keep an open mind and give it a try.

        Brian