Who? Me? Jump into the Frey?

  • Teeje
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2005
      There's a nice new file (read: monthly notice) that will be sent out
      to the group automagically. It's a primer on "Netiquette" (Net
      Etiquette). Nice little friendly reminder of the ins and outs of
      conversing online.

      Time for my own story I guess. When I first found geocaching, it was
      the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was hungry, nay,
      bloodthirsty for the next hunt! Drooling on my keyboard as I checked
      the nearest caches to me on the site every hour or two. The first
      three months I found 100 caches each, and since I started in November,
      there wasn't much daylight after work so many weekday finds were even
      struggled after in the dark.

      However, what I didn't realize was that I had started stepping on
      people's toes. One lunchtime find I met some other cachers already at
      the site (first time for this...) and sauntered in, found and signed
      the cache, and left without letting them know. I didn't think
      anything of it, as I figured they were there for the hide/find, not
      for the numbers, and I didn't want to ruin their hunt. This did not
      set well with them, however, and they had a few choice words about it.
      Once I found out, I did apologize to them, and all was fine, but I
      had not known that their playing of the geocaching game was so
      different from my motives.

      Some folks in different areas were accustomed being to the grand
      poobah First-to-Find kings. Some of these started posting hurtful
      messages in their logs, or making not-so-nice comments at events, and
      these things too eventually got back to me. This took the wind out of
      my sails. I am not a highly competitive person, and the downright
      anger I felt coming at me turned me off caching for several months. I
      still have not regained the enthusiasm I once had, and never check
      daily for new caches.

      I saw an interesting poem years ago that still sticks with me:

      Watch the words you use,
      Keep the kind and sweet,
      for you never know from day to day,
      which ones you'll have to eat.

      Now, to be more direct on the matters recently at hand:

      Ed: Thanks for the wonderful hides. Your parking garage ones have
      been some of my absolute favorites. However, before criticizing
      others, remember your own faults as well. We all have one or two.
      There is also a rule on the geo books about caches being long-term
      oriented, as in no 3-4 month caches. However your own caches are
      often archived within 4 months, and the average is around 5 months,
      though one was up for two years before archiving. There have been
      several I have been very disappointed about not getting a chance to
      search for because either work was busy or I was out of town on the
      weekends for a couple months. Be patient with others. Others can
      easily be hurt, without any malice on your part, just due to wording.

      Debbie: Remember, there are no stupid questions, 'cept the unasked
      ones! You felt the way you did, 'slammed', and you communicated how
      you felt. This is good. The whole group has been 'slammed' a few
      times. Congrats to you for being the first to speak out against it.
      Indeed, you were slammed again when asked if you left your caches as
      geo-litter.

      All: Try your best to be good communicators. Re-read your posts
      before sending them out. And take special care when you are sending
      personal email to a user. You are, after all, entering their 'home'
      via their email box. Be considerate of that fact.

      Please folks, stop the slamming. This group is for growing closer.
      If you want to lecture/preach rules to others, that's politics. As
      was pointed out well by others in earlier posts, politics and religion
      are fightin' words when the holders' views are different.

      Peace all. Grok?

      -- Yar?Yar!
    • Ed & Julie
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2005
        <snip>
        > Ed: Thanks for the wonderful hides. Your parking garage ones have
        > been some of my absolute favorites. However, before criticizing
        > others, remember your own faults as well. We all have one or two.
        > There is also a rule on the geo books about caches being long-term
        > oriented, as in no 3-4 month caches. However your own caches are
        > often archived within 4 months, and the average is around 5 months,
        > though one was up for two years before archiving. There have been
        > several I have been very disappointed about not getting a chance to
        > search for because either work was busy or I was out of town on the
        > weekends for a couple months. Be patient with others. Others can
        > easily be hurt, without any malice on your part, just due to
        wording.
        <snip>

        Hey Yar!!

        The puzzle cache that I had hidden, then archived after four months
        had been stolen (I'm assuming that's the one you was referring to
        now and in your post a few months ago). I checked the hide, and the
        area it was hidden had become compromised. I could not reasonably
        replace a container in the same spot. Nobody was more bummed about
        losing that cache than myself because it was an ammo can with lots
        of trade items, and I had put some time into the cache page for the
        puzzle (I love the pics). (Did you notice I checked on it 3 days
        after a problem was noted?).

        Archiving the cache was well within the guidlines, and replacing it
        would have been futile.

        My other caches have been archived for similar reasons. Normally, if
        the cache is muggled, I replace the container. Some caches have been
        replaced several times. If it is taken a second time (or 3rd), I
        archive the listing. One listing was archived due to homeland
        security concerns, another was archived because the hide just didn't
        work (magnetic paper that kept blowing down...I still like that
        idea :)

        All of my caches are planned as long-term hides, and archived when
        appropriate.

        From the geocaching.com guidlines:
        Cache Permanence

        When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers
        should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and
        extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to
        move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for
        less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed. If
        you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event
        and hand them out there.

        We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache
        occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the
        environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner's decision to
        remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to
        research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache
        life.

        Now if I can just find that %$%$@! Butte College Whale Tail
        micro...that thing haunts me!

        Happy caching!!