"Operation Hurricache"

  • grrlfrog71
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
      Dear Fellow Geoachers,

      My name is Mary Ann and my geocaching name is "Grrlfrog & CacheChow"
      on geocaching.com By now you are all aware of the wrath of
      Hurricanes Katrina & Rita. What you may not realize is that many
      our our geocaching counterparts have been deeply affected. I come
      to you for help with a project that I hope you find both fun and
      rewarding. I am currently working with 2 New Orleans cachers who
      are helping me find other cachers in need of assistance due to the
      hurricanes. I will continue to look for cachers in need right here
      in Texas as well.

      We have concluded that our efforts can only help so much; we
      must leave the "big work" of rebuilding homes and lives to FEMA and
      the Red Cross. However, what we hear over and over again is that
      Geocachers are touched that we are even "thinking" of them. I have
      an Inbox full of email messages to this point. I have also been
      able to put caching groups in touch with families to be "adopted" -
      it has been a tremendous boost that as an organization, we are
      reaching out to each other.

      In an effort to boost morale and bring even the slightest bit of a
      smile to cachers, we are embarking on a project called "Operation
      Hurricache". We plan to build 100 "Hurricaches" (care packages) to
      be distributed to needy cachers as we track them down. We would
      like you to think about an item you would like to include and that
      you send us 100 of those items - each of the items should include
      your personal/group geocaching name and logo (if applicable). Avery
      labels are fine for this. The items can be practical, funny,
      geocache-related, or mere tokens of thoughtfulness.

      Some examples include:

      -screwdrivers
      -miniature tool set
      -bottle opener
      -compass
      -drawings/artwork by kids (a classroom project)
      -can opener
      -rubber gribbers
      -pens/pencils with logos
      -small flashlight
      -batteries
      -gift cards
      -small toys
      -shampoo
      -purell
      -lotion
      -bar of soap

      Any travel-size item will work, and in some cases there may be
      people in the groups who could get something donated. Our efforts
      are being supported by Magellan, Garmin, and GPSGames.org.
      See: http://www.gpsgames.org/content/view/68

      Depending on the amount of participation, it will dictate the size
      of the box and/or ammo can. One thing for sure is I want to be
      able to sticker the outside of the container with the geocaching
      groups' States and Logos. Each Hurricache will look like a well-
      travelled suitcase once we get through with it.

      We want cachers in the Gulf to know that we are thinking about them
      from all areas of the country. From what we know so far, people hit
      by this tragedy are feeling alone, desolate and completely uncertain
      of their future.

      Rest assured this is a legitimate request for help. I am willing to
      speak with anyone via phone or email to reassure them we are truly
      dedicated to helping fellow cachers in need.

      Thanks so much for your care and concern,
      Mary Ann
      "Grrlfrog & CacheChow"

      More info about Operation Hurricache & Katrina Cachers:
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
        This is an interesting request...with all of the death and destruction caused by these two hurricanes I think replacing geocaches is very low on the priority list.  I think instead of buying items for caches a cash donation to your favorite charity is best.
        Rock of Rock & Crystal said he did a username search on these two names and neither one exists in the geocaching.com list.  I tried it also and he is correct.
        I don't know if this is a scam or not, but I would need a lot more info first before I would consider donating, and like I said before youe favorite charity would be more appropriate at this time.
        Just my opinion,
        Mike
        Escapades

      • CASAS
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
          Hi,
          I did a search and found the two names together. "Grrlfrog & CacheChow" is one user name BUT I too thought it was strange request. I couldn't decided if they wanted care packages or caches.

          Anne

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Richard Thompson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
            The name is (Grrlfrog & CacheChow). It is one name and
            if you do a look to what they have found you will see
            that they are in the Austin area with 280 finds. From
            the list of items I don't think that they are for
            replacing geocaches.

            Richard or the GeoCrickets

          • Debra Haseleu
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
              Why can't we do something via the Red Cross, if we donate we could give it to them or the Salvation Army and that way we would know that it would go to the right place. Get all the Cache groups to do this and we could help out alot.
              Debbie and Keith (Cache Busters)

              --- Escapades wrote:

> [...]
              > like a well-
              > travelled suitcase once we get through with it.
              >
              > We want cachers in the Gulf to know that we are
              > thinking about them
              > from all areas of the country. From what we know so
              > far, people hit
              > by this tragedy are feeling alone, desolate and
              > completely uncertain
              > of their future.
              >
              > Rest assured this is a legitimate request for help.
              > I am willing to
              > speak with anyone via phone or email to reassure
              > them we are truly
              > dedicated to helping fellow cachers in need.
              >
              > Thanks so much for your care and concern,
              > Mary Ann
              > "Grrlfrog & CacheChow"
              >
              > More info about Operation Hurricache & Katrina
              > Cachers:

              > Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DLTolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • CASAS

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
                  Yes, Rock and I were reluctant to approve her request to join the NUTS group...(we have very high standards as you may know LOL) until we could gather more info but we failed to tell Teeje (Yar? Yar!) so he approved her request.
                  I just checked and her status is to receive all e-mails from this group, so maybe she will want to post a message on here for us to know more about her project.
                  I agree with Debby that the Red Cross is a better choice for donations at the present time.
                  Mike

                  CASAS <alilcasa@...> wrote:
[...]

                • nelson143
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                    My thoughts exactly...
                    Geocaching is a very, very low priority in the bigger picture of the recent natural disaster devastation. People need food, clothing, shelter, and medical supplies.
                    A donation to a known, reputable, charitable organization is appropriate...geocaching can wait.
                    Ed
                    TB&TB

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                        Hi there,.

                        First of all, thank you for letting me join the group and I assure you my efforts are not an attempt to scam, spam or otherwise have a negative impact on this group.  I am only in touch with you to ask for your support of "Operation Hurricache."  Any or all of you are invited to join our Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Katrina_Cachers/

                        As you realized, my caching handle is "Grrlfrog & CacheChow" - all combined.  I have been a geocacher since March, 2003.  I COMPLETELY understand any hesitation on your part about contributing, and I am not asking for money - the Hurricaches are indeed a "care package" and NOT a replacement geocache for those caches lost in the flood.  Our geocaching partners along the coast have lost homes and lives as they knew it.  We are compiling a list of these folks and the Hurricaches will be hand-delivered to them in an effort to provide support from their counterparts in the geocaching community.  I am asking for a contribution of an item that can be included in the Hurricache.  If you would like to contribute an item as a group, that's fantastic.  If not, that is fine too and I definitely agree that if you can give to the Red Cross or other organization, then please do!

                        At the moment I have received contributions from several geocaching organizations around the country and there is more on the way.  Items have included toothpast, toothbrushes, Christmas ornaments, recipe packets, pens, small toys, crayons, sewing kits, first-aid kits and a host of other things.  We are also going to receive items from Garmin and Magellan though they are still discussing what they will be sending.  I am hoping it may even be GPSr's but we'll see!   Each Hurricache will also include the Katrina relief geocoin which is being minted by the NJ Geocachers: http://www.nnjc.org/geocoin/katrina_order.aspx

                        As I mentioned, you are cordially invited to participate if you would like.  I can assure you this effort will go a long way in defining the geocaching community.

                        Thanks, and kind regards,
                        Mary Ann
                        "Grrlfrog & CacheChow"