Re: [NUTS] Newbie Questions about Handheld GPS Units

  • bintigger@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hi Gail

      Thank you I will see if they are full yet. I should be back from Vacation by that week.

      Lora
      Geotigger
    • svbrosa
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
        Thanks to all who gave me answers to my questions.

        I am signed up with geocaching.com. They provide a lot of information
        there. I am still trying to digest what I've read.

        I've enjoyed this sport so far, even though we've gotten skunked a
        few times (due to the lack of a GPS unit - no doubt). But, it is a
        great way to get out of the house and get the kids busy doing
        something (and me too!).

        Thanks again.

        svbrosa

        --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > Please don't slap yourself in the head! You obviously aren't
        ignorant or you wouldn't be willing to get involved in this simple,
        complex, puzzling, satisfying, entertaining, frustrating, and all
        around addictive hobby/sport!

        > This has been a great hobby for our family. It gets our 9-year-old
        away from the TV, video games, etc. and into the great outdoors. She
        is learning a lot of history, geography, computer skills, problem-
        solving and also exploring some absolutely beautiful places.

        > We began Geocaching when my brother was showing us his GPSr at a
        family picnic. He said "I think there is one not to far from here..."
        and that was all it took. We were at Costco and they had a Magellen
        SporTrak Pro set and we decided to buy it. It was a $300 investiment
        which seemed like a lot so we were sure hoping that we stayed
        enthusiastic about this thing.

        > Two years later.....we still have that same GPSr which our 9-year-
        old now uses (she broke off from our family group and now has her own
        Geocaching name) and we now have a Magellan Explorist 600 that we are
        still learning how to use.

        > Our son has a Garmin Etrex (aka Old Yeller) that we purchased for
        him at Target at $90.00 and it gets the job done as well.

        > Downloading coordinates for the caches directly from the computer
        is great, however, hand entering the coordinates works just as well.
        Some people don't even enter coordinates at all (Rock and Crystal can
        tell you about that!) and manage extremely well. No matter what you
        decide to do and how you decide to do it, there is someone else here
        in this group that is doing something similar and will be able to
        help you out.

        > Welcome aboard!
        > Escapades
        >
        > svbrosa <electra_eos@y...> wrote:
        > Questions: When you buy a GPS unit, do you need to subscribe to
        some
        > kind of service for it to work? Do you need to buy software? What
        > function does software serve?
        >
        > Okay. You can laugh all you want at this one. I know that someday
        > I'll
        > look back on this and slap myself in the forehead for being so
        > incredibly ignorant.
        >
        > I am VERY new to Geocaching. Actually, I only learned of its
        > existence
        > last Friday night. It intrigued me so much that I went out and made
        > my
        > first find this past weekend. My youngest child is so into this
        now,
        > that she talks of nothing else. I should correct myself and say
        that
        > SHE made the first find, I was yards behind her when she found it.
        >
        > But, we don't have a GPS unit - which makes this activity fairly
        > difficult. And, having no clue about the GPS units - I thought I'd
        > ask.
        >
        > Be gentle, oh kind people, I have a sensitive soul.
        >
        > svbrosa

        > Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Treasure
        seeker

        Service.