Re: [NUTS] Newbie Questions about Handheld GPS Units

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hi Lora,
      Mike from Escapades is going to be teaching a class on how to use a GPSr through Oroville Adult on Sept. 27th and Don from Rock and Crystal is going to be teaching a class through Oroville Adult on Geocaching on Sept. 28th. I don't know if the classes are full yet but here is the link to the Oroville Adult website and you can scroll down to course descriptions.

      Have a great day!
      Gail (Escapades)

      bintigger@... wrote:
      And just where and when are these classes for GPS basics? I know how to find caches but would like to be able to understand my GPS and its capabilities more.

      Thank you
      Lora
    • bintigger@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
        Hi Gail

        Thank you I will see if they are full yet. I should be back from Vacation by that week.

        Lora
        Geotigger
      • svbrosa
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
          Thanks to all who gave me answers to my questions.

          I am signed up with geocaching.com. They provide a lot of information
          there. I am still trying to digest what I've read.

          I've enjoyed this sport so far, even though we've gotten skunked a
          few times (due to the lack of a GPS unit - no doubt). But, it is a
          great way to get out of the house and get the kids busy doing
          something (and me too!).

          Thanks again.

          svbrosa

          --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > Please don't slap yourself in the head! You obviously aren't
          ignorant or you wouldn't be willing to get involved in this simple,
          complex, puzzling, satisfying, entertaining, frustrating, and all
          around addictive hobby/sport!

          > This has been a great hobby for our family. It gets our 9-year-old
          away from the TV, video games, etc. and into the great outdoors. She
          is learning a lot of history, geography, computer skills, problem-
          solving and also exploring some absolutely beautiful places.

          > We began Geocaching when my brother was showing us his GPSr at a
          family picnic. He said "I think there is one not to far from here..."
          and that was all it took. We were at Costco and they had a Magellen
          SporTrak Pro set and we decided to buy it. It was a $300 investiment
          which seemed like a lot so we were sure hoping that we stayed
          enthusiastic about this thing.

          > Two years later.....we still have that same GPSr which our 9-year-
          old now uses (she broke off from our family group and now has her own
          Geocaching name) and we now have a Magellan Explorist 600 that we are
          still learning how to use.

          > Our son has a Garmin Etrex (aka Old Yeller) that we purchased for
          him at Target at $90.00 and it gets the job done as well.

          > Downloading coordinates for the caches directly from the computer
          is great, however, hand entering the coordinates works just as well.
          Some people don't even enter coordinates at all (Rock and Crystal can
          tell you about that!) and manage extremely well. No matter what you
          decide to do and how you decide to do it, there is someone else here
          in this group that is doing something similar and will be able to
          help you out.

          > Welcome aboard!
          > Escapades
          >
          > svbrosa <electra_eos@y...> wrote:
          > Questions: When you buy a GPS unit, do you need to subscribe to
          some
          > kind of service for it to work? Do you need to buy software? What
          > function does software serve?
          >
          > Okay. You can laugh all you want at this one. I know that someday
          > I'll
          > look back on this and slap myself in the forehead for being so
          > incredibly ignorant.
          >
          > I am VERY new to Geocaching. Actually, I only learned of its
          > existence
          > last Friday night. It intrigued me so much that I went out and made
          > my
          > first find this past weekend. My youngest child is so into this
          now,
          > that she talks of nothing else. I should correct myself and say
          that
          > SHE made the first find, I was yards behind her when she found it.
          >
          > But, we don't have a GPS unit - which makes this activity fairly
          > difficult. And, having no clue about the GPS units - I thought I'd
          > ask.
          >
          > Be gentle, oh kind people, I have a sensitive soul.
          >
          > svbrosa

          > Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Treasure
          seeker

          Service.