Re: [NUTS] Newbie Questions about Handheld GPS Units

  • bintigger@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hello

      We have  a Magellan Gold hand  GPS held but we just got our son a Garmin Geko 201 that has computer access on it. You can find them on ebay also, we paid 110.00 for his brand new. I don't know how much the Magellan was as it was a gift. We are giving the Garmin to our son as a gift to see if he likes geo caching or not. It will give him something to do while he is off duty, He is  in the ARMY. in Tennessee  soon to be leaving for Iraq. So we did not spend a lot on it but got one that can be connected to the computer just in case he does. IF he doesn't well then looks like hubby has his own GPS.  We tried his out along with the Magellan and they were pretty much exact on cords. Although I like the (stealth) of the Garmin I like to be able to see easier on the Magellan and also it can store a lot of more info then the Garmin as it has a memory card. Not sure if this helps you or not. As I am no way totally experienced with them but I can find caches. :)

      Welcome to the world of Treasure hunting
      Geotigger
      Lora
    • bintigger@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
        And just where and when are these classes for GPS basics? I know how to find caches but would like to be able to understand my GPS and its capabilities more.

        Thank you
        Lora
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hello,
          Please don't slap yourself in the head! You obviously aren't ignorant or you wouldn't be willing to get involved in this simple, complex, puzzling, satisfying, entertaining, frustrating, and all around addictive hobby/sport!

          This has been a great hobby for our family. It gets our 9-year-old away from the TV, video games, etc. and into the great outdoors. She is learning a lot of history, geography, computer skills, problem-solving and also exploring some absolutely beautiful places.

          We began Geocaching when my brother was showing us his GPSr at a family picnic. He said "I think there is one not to far from here..." and that was all it took. We were at Costco and they had a Magellen SporTrak Pro set and we decided to buy it. It was a $300 investiment which seemed like a lot so we were sure hoping that we stayed enthusiastic about this thing.

          Two years later.....we still have that same GPSr which our 9-year-old now uses (she broke off from our family group and now has her own Geocaching name) and we now have a Magellan Explorist 600 that we are still learning how to use.

          Our son has a Garmin Etrex (aka Old Yeller) that we purchased for him at Target at $90.00 and it gets the job done as well.

          Downloading coordinates for the caches directly from the computer is great, however, hand entering the coordinates works just as well. Some people don't even enter coordinates at all (Rock and Crystal can tell you about that!) and manage extremely well. No matter what you decide to do and how you decide to do it, there is someone else here in this group that is doing something similar and will be able to help you out.

          Welcome aboard!
          Escapades

          svbrosa <electra_eos@...> wrote:
          Questions: When you buy a GPS unit, do you need to subscribe to some
          kind of service for it to work? Do you need to buy software? What
          function does software serve?

          Okay. You can laugh all you want at this one. I know that someday
          I'll
          look back on this and slap myself in the forehead for being so
          incredibly ignorant.

          I am VERY new to Geocaching. Actually, I only learned of its
          existence
          last Friday night. It intrigued me so much that I went out and made
          my
          first find this past weekend. My youngest child is so into this now,
          that she talks of nothing else. I should correct myself and say that
          SHE made the first find, I was yards behind her when she found it.

          But, we don't have a GPS unit - which makes this activity fairly
          difficult. And, having no clue about the GPS units - I thought I'd
          ask.

          Be gentle, oh kind people, I have a sensitive soul.

          svbrosa

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
            Hi Lora,
            Mike from Escapades is going to be teaching a class on how to use a GPSr through Oroville Adult on Sept. 27th and Don from Rock and Crystal is going to be teaching a class through Oroville Adult on Geocaching on Sept. 28th. I don't know if the classes are full yet but here is the link to the Oroville Adult website and you can scroll down to course descriptions.

            Have a great day!
            Gail (Escapades)

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
              Hi Gail

              Thank you I will see if they are full yet. I should be back from Vacation by that week.

              Lora
              Geotigger
            • svbrosa
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
                Thanks to all who gave me answers to my questions.

                I am signed up with geocaching.com. They provide a lot of information
                there. I am still trying to digest what I've read.

                I've enjoyed this sport so far, even though we've gotten skunked a
                few times (due to the lack of a GPS unit - no doubt). But, it is a
                great way to get out of the house and get the kids busy doing
                something (and me too!).

                Thanks again.

                svbrosa

                --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                > incredibly ignorant.
                >
                > I am VERY new to Geocaching. Actually, I only learned of its
                > existence
                > last Friday night. It intrigued me so much that I went out and made
                > my
                > first find this past weekend. My youngest child is so into this
                now,
                > that she talks of nothing else. I should correct myself and say
                that
                > SHE made the first find, I was yards behind her when she found it.
                >
                > But, we don't have a GPS unit - which makes this activity fairly
                > difficult. And, having no clue about the GPS units - I thought I'd
                > ask.
                >
                > Be gentle, oh kind people, I have a sensitive soul.
                >
                > svbrosa

                > Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Treasure

                Service.