Re: [NUTS] AAA Cache 19: The Cajon Zone

  • BootyBuddies
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
      As you may image I have been tracking these caches so to speak.  There are several other reasons that the AAA caches are not listed on geocaching.com.  For example, there is already a virtual cache within 0.1 miles of Cache 1, A View That's Out of This World, that I found when I was in Chicago in May.  There is also already a cache (and a Letterbox) at the Blue Whale where Cache 7, All Over My Tail, is located, not to mention that almost half of them are virtuals which as everyone knows are virtually impossible to get approved through geocaching.com even though I am currently trying.

      For obvious reasons I hope to find some if not all of them before they go the way of the APE caches.

      Bill AKA KxRt66

      nelson143@... wrote:
      I don't see anything with the AAA cache that would prevent geocaching.com
      from listing it.

      There are a few caches listed in the NUTS area that are in or near (illegal)
      garbage dump sites and transient shelters.

      Ed

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26, 2005
        Well, dang!   We were just there chasing around after Teeje up Route 66 and out to the Southwest. Been a member of AAA since '65 and we didn't hear a thing about this hunt. I'm bummed and gonna complain! :o(   Sorry about the bad experience you guys... R&C

        > Geocaching.com has cache hiding guidelines for a reason.
        > After this cache, I won't be doing any more AAA caches...
        >
        > http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/promo/campaign/r66_geocache2.asp?zip=
        >
        > http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/promo/campaign/caches/cache-19.asp
        >
        > 7/5/2005
        > AAA Cache 19:  The Cajon Zone
        > I was amazed at the amount of garbage at the caching area, and the
        > homeless box-shelter under the nearby bridge.  After finding a nice
        > poke-stick to search through the mess, we finally found the cache.
        > Right after replacing the cache container, a very strange man wearing
        > several medical face masks and rubber gloves rides up from behind on a
        > high-priced bicycle and circles around us.  After wondering for if we
        > were about to be mugged or worse he rides a little further away.  We
        > got back into the car to drive off, and immediately after we did he
        > headed right for the cache, grabbed it (and an old shirt on the
        > ground), looked through the box, then rode off with it.  Somehow I
        > doubt he will return it, much less to the proper coordinates.
        >
        > I would suggest other geocachers to this cache be very ware of any
        > nearby vehicles and watch their backs.

        Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Huntnlady
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 26, 2005
          Last Friday I picked up $50. in this outstanding cache and left my old Magellan Merigreen.  I had been planning to place it as a FTF prize in a cache (since getting a new garmin) but didn't want to trade down.  There are some other equally valuable prizes in this cache.  I hadn't seen anyone mention that they took the GPS in their logs, maybe it is still in there.
          Anyone else planning on doing the cache soon?

          Deer laugh when they hear my name!

        • BootyBuddies
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 26, 2005
            Only certain AAA chapters had access i.e. Texas and SoCal.  CSAA apparently did not participate and if you tried to access the promotion from a non-participating zipcode it would kick you out.  Bill  AKA KxRt66

            Donald Liddiard <redhawk6611@...> wrote:
            Well, dang!   We were just there chasing around after Teeje up Route 66 and out to the Southwest. Been a member of AAA since '65 and we didn't hear a thing about this hunt. I'm bummed and gonna complain! :o(   Sorry about the bad experience you guys... R&C

            > Geocaching.com has cache hiding guidelines for a reason.
            > After this cache, I won't be doing any more AAA caches...
            >
            > http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/promo/campaign/r66_geocache2.asp?zip=
            >
            > http://www.aaa-calif.com/travel/promo/campaign/caches/cache-19.asp
            >
            > 7/5/2005
            > AAA Cache 19:  The Cajon Zone
            > I was amazed at the amount of garbage at the caching area, and the
            > homeless box-shelter under the nearby bridge.  After finding a nice
            > poke-stick to search through the mess, we finally found the cache.
            > Right after replacing the cache container, a very strange man wearing
            > several medical face masks and rubber gloves rides up from behind on a
            > high-priced bicycle and circles around us.  After wondering for if we
            > were about to be mugged or worse he rides a little further away.  We
            > got back into the car to drive off, and immediately after we did he
            > headed right for the cache, grabbed it (and an old shirt on the
            > ground), looked through the box, then rode off with it.  Somehow I
            > doubt he will return it, much less to the proper coordinates.
            >
            > I would suggest other geocachers to this cache be very ware of any
            > nearby vehicles and watch their backs.

            Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Donald Liddiard
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
              Well that's just disgusting! Anyone want an CSAA member card with two weeks left on it?? :o)  R&C