GeoWoodstock III

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi all...
      I just wanted to share what a great time we had at GeoWoodstock III
      in Florida! Those folks there put on an awsome event and made us
      feel very welcome. There was an excess of 500 cachers there
      including some from Germany and I think I heard Sweden. We from
      California (NUTS, RCGDS, BADGES) were able to experience
      caching "Florida style" and found some interesting camo jobs (watch
      out!)and gained some great ideas for future events in our area.
      There were representatives from Groundspeak and Today's Cacher there
      as well. There were lots of prizes raffled off and those of us who
      attended were given some of the first of the new Jeep Travel bugs so
      be on the look out for those! We found an unbelievable number of
      caches without much effort. There are some who found over 400 in 4
      days (TeamAlamo from BADGES).

      The Meet and Greet dinner Friday night was buffet style and there
      were several caches to be had at the restaurant...pocket caches, a
      cache to be logged there and hidden later, caches within walking
      distance of the restaurant, and others. Afterwards, many, many, many
      cachers went to do a night cache. Fun, fun, fun! The event the next
      day was at a beautiful park with beautiful, clean beaches with lots
      of lifegaurds, hiking and biking trails in a forest like atmosphere,
      a lake for canoeing (no swimming..hmm, I wonder why?), a water park
      for kids, and a great bunch of cachers to swap stories with. The
      food provided was amazing (did I mention no cost to us?) and the
      amount of water and soda provided seemed like an endless mountain!
      There were at least 50 (probably many more than that) caches to be
      found right there at the park. The weather was a little warm and
      muggy but us Northern Californian's can handle a little heat and
      then some! We were just happy that the thunderstorms that had been
      forcast held off for us. At the end of the day, we were all tired
      and ready to sleep.

      Sunday, we decided to go on the St. Augustine cache run. The way
      this worked, we used hand held radios to communicate our destination
      and we all followed each other caching. Who ever found the cache,
      logged it for everyone (Team STAR)and then we were on to the next.
      The team found about 60 caches that day. What an experience! Once we
      reached the historic area of St. Augustine, we split off the group
      and went our seperate ways - some did the touristy thing, some
      continued caching - some (us) did both. Afterwards, we were off to
      an event dinner (which included Alligator for those who were willing
      to try it) and lots of socializing and this officially ended our
      GeoWoodstock event extravaganza! What a great time!

      The following day, we (The Escapades)decided to take a road trip to
      Savannah Georgia and since we were that close, we continued up to
      South Carolina. Another great day! The next morning, we headed home.

      I have posted some pictures on the NUTS page if anyone is interested.

      Gail (Escapades)
    • Shel Brabrook
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 5, 2005
        Wow thanks for the good report and all the photos. It
        looks like you had a good trip.

        http://mail.yahoo.com