Re: [NUTS] Rockhunting/GoldPanning

  • Donald Liddiard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      Yeah! Let's make it an event!! :o)

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: McNabb5@...
      Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 1:39 PM
      To: nuts_@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NUTS] Rockhunting/GoldPanning

       Tanky and Pat, Mc5 and Jeo are going to Gold Country Minerals cache on Sat, June 18 to break rocks at an old silver mine, looking for rock and mineral specimens and then hike about 20 min. down Kanaka creek to a friend's claim and do some gold panning. Anyone else who enjoys rocks, please come along! We can bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it. This time its not about the numbers (but I think Jeo will find some more anyway)

      SEE WAYPOINT GCHYPH:
      "The cache is in a rubbermaid container near to mine tailings that are full of a variety of minerals. It's at 4,000 ft. elevation and probably inaccessible in winter.
      This cache will lead you to the abandoned Silver Dollar mine site at Kanaka Creek in the Sierra Nevada Gold Country. The coordinates above are NOT those of the cache. To find the cache coordinates you must find chemical formulas and fill in the blanks below as follows:
      N39° B6.05A W120° 54CC5
      where A=the number of Magnesium atoms in Soapstone, B=the number of Sulfur atoms in Iron Pyrite(fool’s gold), C=the number of Oxygen atoms in Gypsum. All of these minerals can be found in the mine tailings along with Serpentine, (the state mineral), Slate, Quartz, Mariposite and others."

      Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

    • Jim Coleman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

        just remember to follow the guidelines....... that works MOST of them time!  LOL!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          But of course... we always follow protocol (YEAH, right!)  :o)  So Jim, wanna go gold panning? We'd love to have you come along! :o) ...we gotta get you out here sooner or later.. besides we could give you a couple of gold nuts, too! Make it worth your while!  R&C

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005

            are you kidding? gold bug that I am.... I am DYING to go gold hunting. The problem is you'd probably have to pry me away from the area if I found the slightest trace of gold.

            Jim