Re: How big is large, how small is small

  • George
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
      Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
      list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
      piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
      type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
      to some specific question to log.
      Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
      the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
      stage and a regular for the final stage.
      I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................

      --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:

      > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
      and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
      are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
      find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
      searching for.

      > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
      regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
      good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
      caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.

    • marky@yvanovich.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
        > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
        > list of descriptions is actually a Mini.

        Mini? There isn't an official Mini size. Maybe this is some inside
        NUTS joke that I'm not getting.
        --Marky
      • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
          Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
          describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

          I believe a multicache is listed by what the final cache turns out to be. If
          you find 4 micros to get to the final ammo can stage, it's listed as a
          "regular".

          Ed

          > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
          > list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
          > piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
          > type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
          > to some specific question to log.
          > Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
          > the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
          > stage and a regular for the final stage.
          > I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................
          >

          > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
          >>
          >> There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
          > and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
          > are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
          > find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
          > searching for.
          >>
          >> We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
          > regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
          > good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
          > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.
          >>

          >> Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
          >> Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
          >> Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or
          > international equivalent
          >> Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
          >>
          >> Mike
          >

          > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark Yvanovich
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
            nelson143@... wrote:

            >Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
            >describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

            Mini seems/feels larger than a micro to me. Around these parts, the
            smaller than micro size is affectionately known as a nano-cache. :)

            --Marky
          • Tag
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
              Be very leary of the upcoming Nano nano Nano ((said in a childlike taunting voice) cache being devised in Elk Grove.
              Oldhippy
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2005
                Well, I've learned something today. I always thought that, in terms
                of describing the relative size of objects, a "Mini" anything would be
                larger than a "Micro" anything. When the Mini skirt went out of style
                I had heard something about a "Micro skirt" that would follow. I had
                been looking forward to that but, if it's going to cover more than the
                Mini skirt did, there's no sense in holding on to false hopes.