Re: [NUTS] How big is large, how small is small

  • Bill Hoke
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
      Some mirco cacher probably told you that
      Bill
      --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

      > I am more concerned about the small/large issue. I
      > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
      > the cache is placed.
      >

      > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
      > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?
      >
      > Debby
      >
      > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
      >
      > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
      > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
      > how to rate your cache size. They are trying to
      > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
      > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
      > the size you are searching for.
      >
      > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
      > a micro, small, regular or large. Here is what they
      > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
      > me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
      > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
      > attributes.
      >

      > Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
      > marbles
      > Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
      > golfballs
      > Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
      > few softballs or international equivalent
      > Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
      >
      > Mike

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

    • Jenn Oates
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
        No comment.  I don't want to get into trouble with anyone...if we go any farther with this the moderaters will shut us out of the list...can't have THAT.

        Bill Hoke <bhoke@...> wrote:
        Some mirco cacher probably told you that
        Bill
        --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

        > I am more concerned about the small/large issue.  I
        > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
        > the cache is placed.

        > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
        > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

        > Debby
        >
        > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
        >
        > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
        > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
        > how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to
        > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
        > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
        > the size you are searching for.
        >
        > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
        > a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they
        > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
        > me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36
        > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
        > attributes.
        >

        >    Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
        > marbles
        >    Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
        > golfballs
        >    Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
        > few softballs or international equivalent
        >    Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
        >
        > Mike

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

      • George
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
          Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
          list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
          piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
          type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
          to some specific question to log.
          Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
          the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
          stage and a regular for the final stage.
          I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................

        • marky@yvanovich.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
            > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
            > list of descriptions is actually a Mini.

            Mini? There isn't an official Mini size. Maybe this is some inside
            NUTS joke that I'm not getting.
            --Marky
          • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
              Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
              describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

              I believe a multicache is listed by what the final cache turns out to be. If
              you find 4 micros to get to the final ammo can stage, it's listed as a
              "regular".

              Ed

              > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
              > list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
              > piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
              > type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
              > to some specific question to log.
              > Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
              > the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
              > stage and a regular for the final stage.
              > I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................
              >

              > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
              >>
              >> There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
              > and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
              > are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
              > find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
              > searching for.
              >>
              >> We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
              > regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
              > good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
              > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.
              >>

              >> Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
              >> Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
              >> Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or
              > international equivalent
              >> Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
              >>
              >> Mike
              >

              > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mark Yvanovich
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                nelson143@... wrote:

                >Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                >describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                Mini seems/feels larger than a micro to me. Around these parts, the
                smaller than micro size is affectionately known as a nano-cache. :)

                --Marky
              • Tag
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                  Be very leary of the upcoming Nano nano Nano ((said in a childlike taunting voice) cache being devised in Elk Grove.
                  Oldhippy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2005
                    Well, I've learned something today. I always thought that, in terms
                    of describing the relative size of objects, a "Mini" anything would be
                    larger than a "Micro" anything. When the Mini skirt went out of style
                    I had heard something about a "Micro skirt" that would follow. I had
                    been looking forward to that but, if it's going to cover more than the
                    Mini skirt did, there's no sense in holding on to false hopes.