Re: [NUTS] How big is large, how small is small

  • Jenn Oates
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3 1:53 PM
      I am more concerned about the small/large issue.  I have heard it's not the size that counts, but how the cache is placed.

      BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
      What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

      Debby

      Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:

      There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are searching for.

      We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they came up with and it seems like a good guideline to me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36 caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.

      • Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
      • Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
      • Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or international equivalent
      • Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger

      Mike

      Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Bill Hoke
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3 3:46 PM
        Some mirco cacher probably told you that
        Bill
        --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

        > I am more concerned about the small/large issue. I
        > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
        > the cache is placed.
        >

        > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
        > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?
        >
        > Debby
        >
        > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
        >
        > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
        > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
        > how to rate your cache size. They are trying to
        > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
        > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
        > the size you are searching for.
        >
        > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
        > a micro, small, regular or large. Here is what they
        > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
        > me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
        > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
        > attributes.
        >

        > Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
        > marbles
        > Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
        > golfballs
        > Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
        > few softballs or international equivalent
        > Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
        >
        > Mike

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      • Jenn Oates
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3 4:35 PM
          No comment.  I don't want to get into trouble with anyone...if we go any farther with this the moderaters will shut us out of the list...can't have THAT.

          Bill Hoke <bhoke@...> wrote:
          Some mirco cacher probably told you that
          Bill
          --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

          > I am more concerned about the small/large issue.  I
          > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
          > the cache is placed.

          > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
          > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

          > Debby
          >
          > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
          >
          > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
          > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
          > how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to
          > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
          > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
          > the size you are searching for.
          >
          > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
          > a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they
          > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
          > me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36
          > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
          > attributes.
          >

          >    Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
          > marbles
          >    Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
          > golfballs
          >    Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
          > few softballs or international equivalent
          >    Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
          >
          > Mike

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

        • George
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3 7:09 PM
            Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
            list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
            piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
            type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
            to some specific question to log.
            Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
            the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
            stage and a regular for the final stage.
            I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................

          • marky@yvanovich.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3 7:37 PM
              > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
              > list of descriptions is actually a Mini.

              Mini? There isn't an official Mini size. Maybe this is some inside
              NUTS joke that I'm not getting.
              --Marky
            • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3 8:39 PM
                Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                I believe a multicache is listed by what the final cache turns out to be. If
                you find 4 micros to get to the final ammo can stage, it's listed as a
                "regular".

                Ed

                > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                > list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
                > piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
                > type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
                > to some specific question to log.
                > Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
                > the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
                > stage and a regular for the final stage.
                > I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................
                >

                > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
                >>
                >> There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
                > and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
                > are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
                > find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
                > searching for.
                >>
                >> We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
                > regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
                > good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
                > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.
                >>

                >> Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
                >> Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
                >> Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or
                > international equivalent
                >> Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
                >>
                >> Mike
                >

                > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mark Yvanovich
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3 8:50 PM
                  nelson143@... wrote:

                  >Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                  >describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                  Mini seems/feels larger than a micro to me. Around these parts, the
                  smaller than micro size is affectionately known as a nano-cache. :)

                  --Marky
                • Tag
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3 8:56 PM
                    Be very leary of the upcoming Nano nano Nano ((said in a childlike taunting voice) cache being devised in Elk Grove.
                    Oldhippy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4 1:44 PM
                      Well, I've learned something today. I always thought that, in terms
                      of describing the relative size of objects, a "Mini" anything would be
                      larger than a "Micro" anything. When the Mini skirt went out of style
                      I had heard something about a "Micro skirt" that would follow. I had
                      been looking forward to that but, if it's going to cover more than the
                      Mini skirt did, there's no sense in holding on to false hopes.