Re: [NUTS] How big is large, how small is small

  • BootyBuddies
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
      What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

      Debby

      Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:

      There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are searching for.

      We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they came up with and it seems like a good guideline to me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36 caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.

      • Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
      • Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
      • Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or international equivalent
      • Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger

      Mike

      Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Jenn Oates

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
          Some mirco cacher probably told you that
          Bill
          --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

          > I am more concerned about the small/large issue. I
          > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
          > the cache is placed.
          >

          > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
          > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?
          >
          > Debby
          >
          > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
          >
          > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
          > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
          > how to rate your cache size. They are trying to
          > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
          > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
          > the size you are searching for.
          >
          > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
          > a micro, small, regular or large. Here is what they
          > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
          > me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
          > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
          > attributes.
          >

          > Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
          > marbles
          > Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
          > golfballs
          > Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
          > few softballs or international equivalent
          > Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
          >
          > Mike

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        • Jenn Oates
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
            No comment.  I don't want to get into trouble with anyone...if we go any farther with this the moderaters will shut us out of the list...can't have THAT.

            Bill Hoke <bhoke@...> wrote:
            Some mirco cacher probably told you that
            Bill
            --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

            > I am more concerned about the small/large issue.  I
            > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
            > the cache is placed.

            > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
            > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

            > Debby
            >
            > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
            >
            > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
            > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
            > how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to
            > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
            > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
            > the size you are searching for.
            >
            > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
            > a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they
            > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
            > me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36
            > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
            > attributes.
            >

            >    Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
            > marbles
            >    Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
            > golfballs
            >    Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
            > few softballs or international equivalent
            >    Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
            >
            > Mike

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

          • George
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
              Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
              list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
              piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
              type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
              to some specific question to log.
              Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
              the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
              stage and a regular for the final stage.
              I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................

            • marky@yvanovich.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                > list of descriptions is actually a Mini.

                Mini? There isn't an official Mini size. Maybe this is some inside
                NUTS joke that I'm not getting.
                --Marky
              • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                  Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                  describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                  I believe a multicache is listed by what the final cache turns out to be. If
                  you find 4 micros to get to the final ammo can stage, it's listed as a
                  "regular".

                  Ed

                  > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                  > list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
                  > piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
                  > type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
                  > to some specific question to log.
                  > Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
                  > the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
                  > stage and a regular for the final stage.
                  > I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................
                  >

                  > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
                  > and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
                  > are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
                  > find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
                  > searching for.
                  >>
                  >> We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
                  > regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
                  > good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
                  > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.
                  >>

                  >> Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
                  >> Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
                  >> Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or
                  > international equivalent
                  >> Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
                  >>
                  >> Mike
                  >

                  > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Mark Yvanovich
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                    nelson143@... wrote:

                    >Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                    >describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                    Mini seems/feels larger than a micro to me. Around these parts, the
                    smaller than micro size is affectionately known as a nano-cache. :)

                    --Marky
                  • Tag
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                      Be very leary of the upcoming Nano nano Nano ((said in a childlike taunting voice) cache being devised in Elk Grove.
                      Oldhippy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Well, I've learned something today. I always thought that, in terms
                        of describing the relative size of objects, a "Mini" anything would be
                        larger than a "Micro" anything. When the Mini skirt went out of style
                        I had heard something about a "Micro skirt" that would follow. I had
                        been looking forward to that but, if it's going to cover more than the
                        Mini skirt did, there's no sense in holding on to false hopes.