How big is large, how small is small

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005

      There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are searching for.

      We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they came up with and it seems like a good guideline to me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36 caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.

      • Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
      • Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
      • Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or international equivalent
      • Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger

      Mike

    • BootyBuddies
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
        What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

        Debby

        Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:

        There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are searching for.

        We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they came up with and it seems like a good guideline to me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36 caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.

        • Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
        • Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
        • Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or international equivalent
        • Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger

        Mike

        Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Jenn Oates

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
            Some mirco cacher probably told you that
            Bill
            --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

            > I am more concerned about the small/large issue. I
            > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
            > the cache is placed.
            >

            > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
            > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?
            >
            > Debby
            >
            > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
            >
            > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
            > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
            > how to rate your cache size. They are trying to
            > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
            > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
            > the size you are searching for.
            >
            > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
            > a micro, small, regular or large. Here is what they
            > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
            > me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
            > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
            > attributes.
            >

            > Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
            > marbles
            > Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
            > golfballs
            > Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
            > few softballs or international equivalent
            > Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
            >
            > Mike

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          • Jenn Oates
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
              No comment.  I don't want to get into trouble with anyone...if we go any farther with this the moderaters will shut us out of the list...can't have THAT.

              Bill Hoke <bhoke@...> wrote:
              Some mirco cacher probably told you that
              Bill
              --- Jenn Oates <wildoates56@...> wrote:

              > I am more concerned about the small/large issue.  I
              > have heard it's not the size that counts, but how
              > the cache is placed.

              > BootyBuddies <bootybuddies42@...> wrote:
              > What if I've lost all my marbles?!?

              > Debby
              >
              > Escapades <escapades4cache@...> wrote:
              >
              > There has been a lot of discusion recently in The
              > Geocaching Forums and in Todays Cacher Magazine on
              > how to rate your cache size.  They are trying to
              > come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out
              > to find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on
              > the size you are searching for.
              >
              > We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was
              > a micro, small, regular or large.  Here is what they
              > came up with and it seems like a good guideline to
              > me.  Now I just need to go back through the 36
              > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the
              > attributes.
              >

              >    Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few
              > marbles
              >    Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few
              > golfballs
              >    Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a
              > few softballs or international equivalent
              >    Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
              >
              > Mike

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!

            • George
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
                piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
                type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
                to some specific question to log.
                Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
                the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
                stage and a regular for the final stage.
                I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................

              • marky@yvanovich.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                  > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                  > list of descriptions is actually a Mini.

                  Mini? There isn't an official Mini size. Maybe this is some inside
                  NUTS joke that I'm not getting.
                  --Marky
                • nelson143@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                    describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                    I believe a multicache is listed by what the final cache turns out to be. If
                    you find 4 micros to get to the final ammo can stage, it's listed as a
                    "regular".

                    Ed

                    > Did we forget "Mini". Looks to me like the "Micro" on the proposed
                    > list of descriptions is actually a Mini. A Micro will accomodate a
                    > piece of paper with typed text not exceeding 200 characters in 8 point
                    > type. These are the tiny creations that require a photo or the answer
                    > to some specific question to log.
                    > Wondering how one might classify a multi which includes a micro for
                    > the first stage, a mini for the second stage, a micro for the third
                    > stage and a regular for the final stage.
                    > I guess it ain't a perfect world..............................
                    >

                    > --- In nuts_@yahoogroups.com, Escapades <escapades4cache@y...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> There has been a lot of discusion recently in The Geocaching Forums
                    > and in Todays Cacher Magazine on how to rate your cache size. They
                    > are trying to come up with a uniform guideline so when you go out to
                    > find a cache you will have an appoximate idea on the size you are
                    > searching for.
                    >>
                    >> We were never sure when we placed a cache if it was a micro, small,
                    > regular or large. Here is what they came up with and it seems like a
                    > good guideline to me. Now I just need to go back through the 36
                    > caches we have hidden and fix the size and add the attributes.
                    >>

                    >> Micro - will fit a scroll log and up to a few marbles
                    >> Small - will fit a flat logbook and up to a few golfballs
                    >> Regular - will fit a large logbook and up to a few softballs or
                    > international equivalent
                    >> Large - will fit a soccer ball and larger
                    >>
                    >> Mike
                    >

                    > Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers!
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mark Yvanovich
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                      nelson143@... wrote:

                      >Marky is right...there is no official "mini" cache. It's just a term used to
                      >describe a very small micro. It's still listed as a micro.

                      Mini seems/feels larger than a micro to me. Around these parts, the
                      smaller than micro size is affectionately known as a nano-cache. :)

                      --Marky
                    • Tag
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2005
                        Be very leary of the upcoming Nano nano Nano ((said in a childlike taunting voice) cache being devised in Elk Grove.
                        Oldhippy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2005
                          Well, I've learned something today. I always thought that, in terms
                          of describing the relative size of objects, a "Mini" anything would be
                          larger than a "Micro" anything. When the Mini skirt went out of style
                          I had heard something about a "Micro skirt" that would follow. I had
                          been looking forward to that but, if it's going to cover more than the
                          Mini skirt did, there's no sense in holding on to false hopes.