5312Re: [RCGS-list]: RE: [NUTS] Of stash notes and contact information...

  • scottforde@gmail.com
    Apr 29, 2008
      It looks like the actual GW VI is not in Wheatland city limits after looking at the city limit map on page 8 at the this site. http://www.sacog.org/regionalfunding/fundingprograms/pdf/2008/03/Grant%20Apps/14_Wheatland_Bus%20Shelters.pdf

      Technically I don't think the city has any jurisdiction (but then again I'm not a lawyer so what do I know :P) and therefore you wouldn't need a city permit or even HAVE to ask the city but it would be a good gesture - maybe talk to the county sheriff first before the city police since they would be the responsible law enforcement official.

      -40-

      On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:08 PM, <nelson143@...> wrote:

      In Chico, you are required to get permits from the city for hosting an event like this (even if it's just a notification of the event, at a minimum). You are looking at parking issues, traffic issues, etc.
      With time so short, you really do need to contact city officials now and let them know there is going to be an influx of several thousand people, how many you are expecting, and the nature of the event.
      DO NOT wait until a week before and drop the bomb on Wheatland about this event. The city should have been notified as soon as the event was planned, and kept updated thru the entire process.
      I'm not sure what you mean by you (personally, or the committee?) are "not in a position to ask permission, but paying a courtesy visit to inform them...". You absolutely DO need to ask permission of the city to host an event of this size.
      This could be bad, bad publicity for Groundspeak if you try to host this without the city's blessing and get shut down the day of the event. Who is gonna take the heat from the city officials when the city government shows up out of the loop and pissed?
      This is a great time for geocaching to make a good impression on the city...lets not ruin it by doing it wrong.
      Ed Nelson