2380Re: [NUTS] Major Changes to Geocaching.com publishing guidelines

  • rich sasek
    Nov 4, 2005
      Just curious. I'm easy and it sound good to me.

      Rich

      lildevil@... wrote:
      > but, Why? I mean why are these changes happening?

      The reasons are many.

      1. Locationless caches were broken. This is evidenced by the fact there has
      been a moratorium on them for almost 3 years. The geocaching.com site was
      not designed for caches to have 1,000's of logs. There was no easy way to
      see if the location you want to log was already logged. Once something was
      logged, it wasn't supposed to be logged again.

      The waymarking.com site answers those limitations. During alpha-testing,
      the waymark database was populated with millions of waypoints from a NGS
      database. When you submit a waymark, it automatically tells you if anything
      else was already logged within a mile. Once a waymark is created, it can
      then be 'visited' by others.

      Think of it this way:
      A waymark category is like a locationless cache. When someone finds
      something that fits the category, they create a waymark.
      A waymark is like a virtual cache. When someone visits the waymark, they
      log a "visit."

      2. Virtual caches were broken. This is evidenced by the fact that the
      guidelines were so tight that only a few dozen were published in the last 2
      years. The reviewers hated having to review 100 virtuals, and only be able
      to publish 1 or 2 that met the guidelines. The reviewers hated being bashed
      weekly in the forums by that someone who's virtual was denied. No the
      answer was not to change the guidelines. That would only change the
      threshold. There would still be denied virtuals. Otherwise you would have
      every streetsign, every dead animal carcass, every lost tennis ball, and
      every lost shoe, as virtual caches. Yes, one of those things, or something
      even more lame, was submitted every week!

      3. Splitting non-container caches off from geocaching.com enables
      Groundspeak to market the new site to other groups of people. We all know
      people who think geocaching is silly. But maybe those same people enjoy
      finding Covered Wagons, or Odd-Shaped Buildings, or Outdoor Wind Harps, or
      Hot Springs, or Foucault Pendulums. They just might enjoy waymarking.
      Or how about full-time RVers that travel with pets. They might find the
      "Free Overnight RV Parking Locations" and "Off-Leash Dog Areas" categories
      useful. Suddenly the market potential is several times greater. (Note my
      examples are based on current categories. New categories are being added
      every day, continuing to diversify the site.)

      4. As more and more land managing agencies discover geocaches in their
      parks, they have been enacting guidelines and rules to limit those caches.
      In several cases, they have created rules saying only virtual caches can be
      created in their parks. By removing virtual caches as an option, it
      implores these agencies to work on guidelines to allow physical caches.

      Sometimes change is good. Keep an open mind and give it a try.

      Brian