Re: Please Help

  • Sam_Small
    Message 1 of 13422 , Nov 1, 1999
      I have had to deal with losing patients both as a
      nurse and as an EMT. As an EMT, I had mostly older
      patients as our "frequent flyers", the patients with whom
      I developed relationships, and whose deaths were
      particularly difficult for me. I now work as a neonatal nurse
      in an intensive care setting - it can be very
      difficult when a "stable" kid goes south quick, especially
      when they seemed to be doing so well. But its a
      reality of the setting. I've mourned all of the kids that
      we lose, and balanced it by rejoicing in every
      victory. We talk A LOT on the unit and I talk to my
      friends outside of the profession as I need to. I also
      spend a lot of time with my friends' children and watch
      them grow. That helps lots! I'm interested in CISM
      (critical incident stress management) which is a growing
      field in prehospital and emergency/rescue care, and the
      possibilities of applying similar ideas to high mortality-risk
      areas of hospital care as well. <br><br>I don't know if
      any of that helps, studentdriver, hope
      so!<br><br>SSmall RN
    • rehabrn_2000
      Message 13422 of 13422 , Mar 24, 2002
        --- In nursing2@y..., deborah_leigh <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Well, being one that believes we have to accept SOME responsibility
        > for our own actions, how about not keeping this woman pregnant when
        > there is a history of severe post-partum depression? Have heard on
        > more than one occassion that he, the husband, has some complicity
        in
        > this tragedy. Kinda like giving an alcoholic keys to the family
        > car. If he was so sure that things were not right, why did he
        leave
        > this woman with her children?
        >
        > i don't like this new group thing...anyway...he states that he told
        the docs that she didn't seem right but the docs said she was...he
        says they even said she was ok and they were the medical people...he
        was in the process of finding someone else...and his mom stayed with
        her and watched the kids...don't know what happened...why she wasn't
        there...who knows...maybe she told him she was on birth control....i
        don't have all the answers...they stated that in her case all that
        could have gone wrong in her case...did....