Re: [Nursing] New Nurse

  • jesse w.
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      same boat... any luck so far?

      On Sun Feb 6th, 2011 8:41 PM AST paradad wrote:

      > Can anyone help keep a new nurse inspired to keep looking for a job? I received my RN back in August, after 5 years of blood (lots of cuts and raw skin froom too much alcolhol cleansing)sweat (hours of studying and more hours of working as a paramedic[please don't hate me], 90 hrs a week to be exact) and tears( yes I shed many tears, still am). I am still looking for a job that I don't have to start with a lower pay than what I make as a paramedic. I can't get a job, because everyone wants a nurse with at least one year experience. How can I get that experience, if no one will hire me????????

    • Sandy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
        Apply to nursing homes, they will hire new nurses. I know it is stupid to say needs experience. Sandy RN
        On Sun Feb 6th, 2011 8:41 PM AST paradad wrote:

        > Can anyone help keep a new nurse inspired to keep looking for a job? I received my RN back in August, after 5 years of blood (lots of cuts and raw skin froom too much alcolhol cleansing)sweat (hours of studying and more hours of working as a paramedic[please don't hate me], 90 hrs a week to be exact) and tears( yes I shed many tears, still am). I am still looking for a job that I don't have to start with a lower pay than what I make as a paramedic. I can't get a job, because everyone wants a nurse with at least one year experience. How can I get that experience, if no one will hire me????????

      • Rita Fenn
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
          if you want to work in the hospital, you have to find the connection, or go to the remote area where no one wants to work, or work in another state. Other than that, nursing homes and hospice/agencies are the places to go.

          On Sun Feb 6th, 2011 8:41 PM AST paradad wrote:

          > Can anyone help keep a new nurse inspired to keep looking for a job? I received my RN back in August, after 5 years of blood (lots of cuts and raw skin froom too much alcolhol cleansing)sweat (hours of studying and more hours of working as a paramedic[please don't hate me], 90 hrs a week to be exact) and tears( yes I shed many tears, still am). I am still looking for a job that I don't have to start with a lower pay than what I make as a paramedic. I can't get a job, because everyone wants a nurse with at least one year experience. How can I get that experience, if no one will hire me????????

        • Kathy S
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
            Going through old emails and found this one that I meant to respond to.
            I had the same experience when I got out of nursing school. I, too, was offered lower positions/pay than what I had before I went to nursing school. I was so depressed and wondered why I'd made the effort. It took some time, and I had to accept work in another field for awhile before I got what I wanted and needed in nursing.
            Don't give up! You may need to sacrifice a little to begin with, maybe, to get your foot in the door. I got a job in a doctor's office at first, which was more secretarial than anything, but it was a job and I learned some useful things, too, and got some good references. Then I got a civil service job (not in nursing) that paid pretty well and gave me some more useful skills and experience. These sidetracks should not be looked at as a waste of time, or something that is taking you away from all you've worked for, rather they are opportunities to learn some skills that may be quite useful in your nursing career at some point in the future. Because nursing encompasses a lot of areas besides the obvious. I don't know where you are, but may I suggest applying at a home care agency or hospice. These places - in my area at least - are desperate for nurses and are often willing to give newbies a chance. Especially if you are/were a paramedic. The same goes for nursing homes, where you may start out as a pill-pusher, but you are starting out. You might also try your local red cross (they do hire people besides their volunteers), or even do some volunteer work (while working at a less desirable job) to give you some needed experience and references. How about subbing as a school nurse? But most of all, keep looking up. Anything worthwhile is worth a bit of effort - you WILL get a job. You just have to look in the right place.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
              Nursing homes are more sub acute now, plenty of rehab patients etc. We see the same things hospitals do. Sandy RN