Re: RN to informatics

  • Violet Edison
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
      Jane,
      Thanks, I see it's not going to be an easy transition.

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 6, 2012
          Jane from Hicksville, OH is misinformed. There are many
          univeristies that offer a Master's degree in Nursing Informatics.
          Check out your local university.  I am currently enrolled.

          Tracy

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
            Tracy,
            I have a BSN, what if I don't want a MS, can I still transition to Nursing Informatica?
            Thanks.

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                I'm an RN BSN with 16 yrs. exp. I just want to know about training programs specific for Nursing Informatics that I can enroll in. There are IT programs but not related to medical.
                Anyone who is involved or knows about classes/training going on, please let me know.
                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                  I would recommend you take some classes on databases. (SQL - Access - Oracle)

                  An excellent - and low cost would be going through: www.ed2go.com
                  They are linked to your local colleges usually.
                  You can find them on Facebook as well.

                  They are low cost (around $95.00) a class (6 week - 12 lessons - VERY LOW STRESS)
                  totally online - very slow paced

                  You won't get any college credits, but it does come with CEU's if you pass the final test (weekly quizzes do not count towards your grade).
                  Possibly, you might be able to use them towards your state RN CEU's - Possibly, if your job is informatics related.

                  You do not need any special degree to go into infomatics, although it couldn't hurt.
                  Most nurses probably (no data to justify) do not have a nurisng infomatics degree, but rather found
                    themselves capable at querying (fancy term for asking) databases to produce unit reports.

                  Good Luck,

                  George

                  To: nursebob@yahoogroups.com
                  From: violet_gut@...
                  Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 07:30:24 -0700

                  Tracy,
                  I have a BSN, what if I don't want a MS, can I still transition to Nursing Informatica?
                  Thanks.

                  .

                • Mary A. Kendra, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012

                    Hey, Folks,

                    What it comes down to is this: you can either have a bachelor’s degree in health informatics or, if you already are an RN (you lucky dog, you!) you can get an MSN in Nursing Informatics and make even more money. But regardless, if you want to learn informatics and you are already an RN, it will probably take the same, or even less time, to go the MSN route and you will earn more money.

                    There is no quick fix to a job with higher wages and remember, nursing is one of the few jobs that starts out with a higher-than-average wage out of the gate, so we’re a little spoiled on that aspect.

                    As to the question about learning EPIC/CERNA for a traveler, don’t worry about it, it is the responsibility of the receiving hospital to educate you. I have gone to other hospitals in another town where I was going to school every other weekend and they had computerized charting (we didn’t) and they had to show me how to use their equipment. Especially if you are taking a long assignment, they will put you in a class for it or at least give you some time with their IT folks…they don’t want to get sued because you didn’t know how to chart something while you were there!

                    Hope this helps!

                      Mary Kendra, PhD MSN

                      Alumnus CCRN

                  • George Gallen
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                      MSN is all great and good.....if you have an employer that will pay for your schooling,
                         otherwise it's either a quick fix, or pay big $ or go into hock with higher student loans,
                         which by this time, you most likely have almost maxed out your govt student loans,
                         so it will be private loan time. And you can bancruptcy away student loans, they are
                         with you for life. Even on deferment, or forbearance, the interest keeps racking up.

                      My route BTW, I had an Associates in Allied health, when I was no longer able to
                         do bedside nursing due to a disabilty, I chose infomatics, taking my BS in database design

                      Not quite the specialized avenue as nurse infomatics, but it is a bachelors degree so it should
                      satisfy magnet requirements. And since I wasn't employed at the time, I had to foot the bill
                      for those extra two years.

                      I could kick myself (and I think I have multiple times) for not completeing my bachelors while
                      I was employed at the hospital, on their dime.....It was always next year....well didn't see that
                      disability coming....

                      Moral of the story, if your employer pays for education, do it NOW, otherwise it will cost you
                      big time later.

                      George

                      To: nursebob@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                        My problem is finding class/workshop/local college that offers Nursing Informatics. I like hands on learning to start. I'm living in South Florida. pls send info.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012

                          Try this site....

                          Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:54 PM

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 9, 2012
                            All nurses will be better off when we all use one type of program, the simpler the better.  Think how much money all these computer systems take out of your pocket and how many patients it can harm.

                            kero81

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 10, 2012
                              The training you need is provided by health care facility.

                              You can get a mater's degree, but that will just give you the opportunity to interview for jobs. What people don't seem to understand is that employers now want people with experience.

                              So how do you accomplish that? Start volunteering at your workplace in anything informatics related. That's how a lot of us got jobs.

                              A department is rolling out a system, they are looking for superusers, sign up, get some experience, and then later on, fix your resume, apply for other jobs. Yes, is that easy, but right now the competition is fierce.
                              This blog has a lot of information and many questions are answered there.

                              http://www.nursinginformaticshq.com/clinical-analyst-vs-clinical-informatics-nurse/

                              http://www.nursinginformaticshq.com/nursing-informatics-certificate-and-why-you-might-not-really-need-one/

                              --- In nursebob@yahoogroups.com, Violet Edison <violet_gut@...> wrote:

                              > What training is require to transition from RN to informatics? and training to use EPIC/CERNA charting for travel nurse.
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Violet Edison
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 13, 2012
                                Thanks, I'm possible a little closer.. I'm reviewing Microsoft work and Excel to improve my computer skills. Currently out of work for 6 months, considering travel nursing.

                                The training you need is provided by health care facility.

                                You can get a mater's degree, but that will just give you the opportunity to interview for jobs. What people don't seem to understand is that employers now want people with experience.

                                So how do you accomplish that? Start volunteering at your workplace in anything informatics related. That's how a lot of us got jobs.

                                A department is rolling out a system, they are looking for superusers, sign up, get some experience, and then later on, fix your resume, apply for other jobs. Yes, is that easy, but right now the competition is fierce.
                                This blog has a lot of information and many questions are answered there.

                                http://www.nursinginformaticshq.com/clinical-analyst-vs-clinical-informatics-nurse/

                                http://www.nursinginformaticshq.com/nursing-informatics-certificate-and-why-you-might-not-really-need-one/

                                --- In nursebob@yahoogroups.com, Violet Edison <violet_gut@...> wrote:

                                > What training is require to transition from RN to informatics? and training to use EPIC/CERNA charting for travel nurse.

                              • Cindi Sarasota
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 18, 2012
                                  I agree that if you are currently employed  as a nurse and your employer has a tuition assistance program, use it.  I however got lucky and was involved by my manager during the "build" of our Cerner system prior to installing.  I taught classes not just to nursing, but PT/OT/ST, case management, and view only.  I also functioned as a super user through the first two phases of going live with the system.  I have also gone to other locations in our corporation to assist end users with their go live.  My degree is associate and I currently have no plans to persue a BSN/MSN.  I have been told that I am very well qualified to work for any of the software companies i.e. Epic/Cerner due to my experience with nursing (I am an ICU nurse) and my proven ability with computers.  Remember that a lot of this is about experience as a nurse, computer ability, and looking for the opportunities.  I am not sure a degree will make or break your chances of working with Informatics.  I don't think that the BSN degree has a sub-specialty but do include a course in informatics.  I believe most of the bigger universities that offer MSN may have an informatics specialty available.  Start by looking on the websites of your local universities, many now offer online courses so wouldn't have to be local if you don't find what you are looking for in your area.  Hope this helps..