Xigris question

  • mags_rn71
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      Just curious...

      Are any of you using Xigris in your septic patients? And if so, how
      effective do you think it is? And have you had to d/c it because of
      bleeding?

      We'll use it on our 'sickest of the sick' septic patients...and i
      can't say that it's improved the morbidity of these patients, as
      they're usually circling(sp?) the drain (excuse the expression)
      before we initiate it. Unfortunately, we've had a run of 'bleeders'
      (maybe 5 of the last 20!) and it's gotten some of the nurses to
      question it's effectiveness.??? Have any of you had similar
      experiences???

      I'm aware that it's a fairly 'new' drug in caring for septic-shocky-
      type patients, and some nurses swear by it (because of the studies
      shown us by drug-reps...(lilly?))..i'm just wondering if nurses who
      use it can 'sense' that it's helping?....
    • lizo128@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
        timing is crucial for results with xigris...most appropriatly initiated
        within 1st 24 hours of sepsis which meets all criteria, not initiated when pt's are
        circling the drain, so to speak. Very expensive drug as we know...and the
        outcomes are very promising when initiated in early sepsis....I have seen Xigris
        stopped for bleeding once....very nasty...but can say it has been very
        effective on many other patients i've seen.'
        Liz

      • Karen Herbert
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
          I've seen Xigris prove effective for the most part in our ICU. As mentioned by another nurse in her reply, we try to start it as early as possible, before they become our "sickest" patients. Though we don't use the drug on all of our septic patients. Also, it tends to be the same few docs who order the drug in our unit.
          We rarely have to stop the course of therapy for bleeding.

          mags_rn71 <mags_rn71@...> wrote:
[...]

          Visit http://nursebob.com

        • James Dickerson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2004
            I am forwarding this question to an RN that has a vast amount of experiential knowledge of and with Xigris. Hope
            this helps!!!!

            Cynthia D.