Re: ladders and checkoff lists

  • marcy tita
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi I have been at er/ccu nursing 25 years I would love to work at a place the kept checking standards of care, I can only imagine what a pain in the behind this 30 page check sheet is but 1st ccu and er are different type of nursing, and after a few years you will find everyones skills could use a refresher, sit back and enjoy, atleast yor job expects all of its nurses to maintain high lofty yet easily obtained and maintained skills!

      xmend@... wrote: In a message dated 1/30/2007 7:21:54 AM Central Standard Time,
      debsth1@... writes:
      YES, b/c I just went to the ER.Oh don't you love hospital policy.At least
      they are taking the time to make sure you know all the critical pieces AGAIN!!!
      Don't worry that checklist should be done in a couple of shifts.Good Luck it
      will soon be over.

      djverville@... wrote: what type of clinical ladder? like an orientation
      timeline? This is the
      second time I am orienting to an ICU after 4 years of ER. So far, I have to
      be
      checked off on every skill just like in nursing school. I was an LPN for 3
      years and an RN for 4 years - I think I should be able to say I am
      comfortable putting in foley's and NG's etc in a professional world without
      having to
      have it witnessed. Does anyone else have a 30 page check off list?

      As much of a pain as it is I'm really glad to know they actually use these
      forms of training docs somewhere though it is strange they'd have someone w/your
      type of experience having to check off for everything. After I got out of
      nursing school I got hired in a neurotrauma ICU & was NEVER checked off on
      anything other than drug math & ECG. I got ACLS cert 2 mo's after I was hired on my
      own & sought additional training all over the place b/c my pts were so sick &
      I wanted to do the best I could. One of the reasons this happened was that our
      clinic mgr was too busy to watch what was going on & we were between
      educators so I had a lot of OJT to get skills down. I received a self-ed packet
      halfway through my orientation to learn common treatmts & issues for the floor but
      was never asked for it either. Currently I work as a clinic mgr & one of my
      self-imposed tasks is to make sure folks are practicing w/current info & getting
      training when needed.