Re: Tight control

  • Tricia
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi,
      Don't want to lose the 3ml of blood, AND we don't have the newer system where we can return the blood. I do believe that is coming though.
      Hope this helps! Tricia

      djverville@... wrote:
      Tricia,

      Is the rationale that you don't want to lose the 3mL of blood each time or
      something else for doing all fingersticks? The other thing I wonder and I am
      a new ICU nurse so it may be totally stupid, but could you just push your 3mL
      waste back into the art like the newer systems?

      thanks

      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 25, 2006
        In a message dated 7/23/2006 11:57:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
        jenrnicu@... writes:
        In Houston, our ratios are 2:1 with some pts requiring 1:1 (CVVH/IABP/coding
        pt). We have 1 PCA (aid) to assist with pt care and they share the
        responsibility of glucose checks. They may do q 2 h while the nurse does the in between
        glucose checks. They are supposed to empty foleys, do mouthcare and initiate
        the baths but...
        cheese & crackers, where are you? (i'm also in Houston), our techs don't do
        foleys, oral care, may help out w/baths if they feel like it, and don't even
        get to all 3 of the q4h FSBS checks so pretty much forget q2h checks. In our ICU
        we have 2:1 most of the time but I've been tripled several times including as
        a new grad fresh off orientation while having to babysit a tube system.