Re: is this the average hosp environment?

  • rktodd
    Message 1 of 104 , Jan 30, 2006
      Gary,

      Regarding vent sedation---- Our hospital use to use Ativan or Versed drips. However, we did have patients that did not want to wake up with long term use (week or more). We had patients that would have been off sedation for days and not arouse for another 4-5 days.

      We now use diprivan predominately and the bedside nurses certainly prefer this. The quick response and short half-life make the daily sedation vacation considerably easier, especially if you have a patient that comes out of sedation fighting.

      Thanks, Karla
      Message 104 of 104 , Feb 1, 2006
        We often transition from Diprivan to Precedex for weaning. We actually find
        ourselves moving from Diprivan to Ativan/Fentanyl for longer term sedation
        due to the high fat content of Diprivan not allowing adequate levels of tube
        feeding. Also, if patients are on CRRT the fat content of the Diprivan can
        cause much more frequent filter changes. We try and move all those patients
        to Ativan/Fentanyl gtts.

        Renee Wright

        From: "rktodd" <rktodd@...>
        To: <nursebob@yahoogroups.com>