RE: computerized charting

  • Carlese, Cristina/Nursing
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Each bedside has a computer terminal and an additional of 5 computers at
      the nurses station.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
        I work in an eight bed CCU. Each nurse cares for 2 patients unless we have a 1:1 patient. We have a combination of lap top and desk top computers. There are three desk tops, and six lap tops. The lap tops make it nice when you have a very sick patient and need to stay at the bedside, or when you are admitting the patient. They are also helpful when you have a, IABP or CVVH patient. We have enough to go around for all the nurses, the doctors, and other staff that need to use the computer. The only problem we have is lack of space, the desk can get very crowded at times. Which is another good reason to have the laptops, because we can take them to a less crowded and less hectic place to chart, and we don't have to worry about getting behind because we are unable to get to a computer.

        To those of you who use computerized charting in a critical care setting, how
        many computers do you have and how does this compare to the number of patients
        and nurses? This will be helpful to me as our unit moves toward computerized
        cahrting this summer. Thank you.

        JIm

        Visit http://nursebob.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Isaac Diamond
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
          Our new Medical ICU opened in October. It's 18 beds
          and we do computer charting. Primarily each nurse has
          their own work station centered between their patients
          rooms. You can see into the rooms through these large
          bay windows. So pretty much you have your own computer
          to chart off of. It's really cool. The computer will
          download your vitals at the set interval and you may
          review them before you actually "chart" them. Takes a
          little getting used to, but not too bad. If you feel
          something is not covered in a paticular area, you can
          always make a written clinical note, instead of just
          clicking everything.

          --- Jim & LuAnn OConnell <jaluoc@...> wrote:
          > To those of you who use computerized charting in a
          > critical care setting, how many computers do you
          > have and how does this compare to the number of
          > patients and nurses? This will be helpful to me as
          > our unit moves toward computerized cahrting this
          > summer. Thank you.
          >
          > JIm

          > removed]

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Messenger
        • Lisa Sochulak
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
            I work in an MICU/CCU. In our unit, our computers are mostly located in the
            central nurses station, but in counting them, we essentially have 1 per pt,
            and 4 mobile computers that can be wheeled into or just outside of rooms as
            in the case of a psych pt or close obs pt. Our computers have our flowsheet
            (vitals, assessments, etc) computerized as well as our computerized charting
            system for notes, educ. etc and we also have another program, a bar code
            program for medication charting.

          • snoozn35@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
              I work in a 12 bed micu. We have a computer in every room and 5 at the
              nurses station. All of our flow sheets, our vital signs, I&O's, ventilator flow
              sheet plus labs are on our program.