Re: ICU Policies Children during Visitation

  • lee
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2004
      Renee; can your unit manager & Med Dir. in change your visiting hours or is it more of a physical enivorment problem?

      I used to work in an Tauma Unit, 15 beds with curtains. That was a real problem; equipment, staff, family. When the family came out to investigate all the noise & commotion, we would suggest their time was over. Yeah, we even had to get security involved. But, by and large the families can be your allies!

      Are you able to introduce the concept of having the family with the patient;ie: bathes, turning & re-positioning? Maybe they get more out of the visiting time. ..... We still; as nurses, have to remember & foster the Human Spirit aspect. Good luck with your unit.
      Lee, RN

      Renee <reneeg@...> wrote:
      That's a good article you found. I think there are two aspects to open
      visitation that are vital: one is that the unit is properly designed around
      the open visitation concept, and two, that the families are educated
      properly. My ICU is absolutely not designed to be visitor friendly; as a
      matter of fact, it is just the opposite.

      Renee

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 2, 2004
        HI there,
        I worked in Trauma ICU for 1 1/2 years. I now work in General/Cardiac ICU. Trauma was interesting but hard work.