Minnesota imports help Nunavik teachers revive pure sled dogs

  • George Lessard
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Nunatsiaq News, Thu, 27 Oct 2005 8:10 PM PDT
      Minnesota imports help teachers revive pure sled dogs

      http://www.nunatsiaq.com/news/nunavik/51028_03.html

      October 28, 2005

      Minnesota imports help teachers revive pure sled dogs

      When you get angry at mixed breeds "they get mad at you," musher says

      JANE GEORGE
      Daniel Annanack welcomes three Inuit sled dogs to Kangiqsualujjuaq.
      http://www.nunatsiaq.com/news/images/51028/51028-daniel_annanack.jpg
      (PHOTO COURTESY OF MARK BRAZEAU)

      Two teachers at Kangiqsualujjuaq's Ulluriaq School are trying to
      re-establish the pure Inuit sled dog breed through a project called
      Qimmiit Utirtut: the dogs are back!

      Last week, the project took off as Daniel Annanack and Mark Brazeau
      welcomed three new purebred Inuit sled dog puppies from a breeder in
      Minnesota.

      Annanack, who already runs a team of nine dogs, is eager to see these
      puppies grow up and join his team. That's because he finds mixed
      breed dogs, the kind commonly found in Nunavik, to be less obedient
      and more aggressive than pure Inuit sled dogs.

      "When the owner gets mad at pure sled dogs, the dogs don't get mad at
      the owner," he said. "The dogs we have now, when you get mad at them,
      they get mad at you."

      Brazeau, the project's co-promoter isn't a musher, but he said he was
      inspired to become involved in the project by last year's Ivakkak dog
      team race, whose starting point was in Kangiqsualujjuaq.

      "Because I have a truck I was asked to help pick up the teams at the
      airport," Brazeau said. "I saw the energy that it generated in town.
      I saw the kids, running after the truck, asking how many dogs I had,
      and it was a very positive feeling for the community and the kids."

      After Annanack approached him about the idea of bringing pure bred
      Inuit sled dogs to Kangiqsualujjuaq, Brazeau started to research
      breeders.

      He found pure Inuit sled dog breeders in Europe and North America -
      "not a huge population, even though the dogs came from northern
      Canada and Greenland." Before getting on the Internet and searching
      for information, Brazeau said he didn't even know what a pure Inuit
      dog looked like because he'd never seen one in Nunavik.

      To help in the effort to revive pure Inuit dogs in Nunavik, U.S.
      breeders donated two of the three puppies sent to Kangiqsualujjuaq.
      Makivik Corporation and its airlines, First Air and Air Inuit,
      provided crates and plane tickets to Kangiqsualujjuaq.

      "We're going to start breeding. This is the plan - to repopulate and
      sustain the breed, without having to bring dogs up," Brazeau said.
      "We're going to take it one step at a time."

      Brazeau and Annanack also want to build on the excitement of having
      the pure Inuit sled dogs in the community.

      As a culture teacher at Ulluriaq, Annanack plans to involve students
      in all aspects of dog teaming.

      But the goal of "Qimmiit Utirtut" doesn't end there: the project also
      wants to work with regional and local organizations to establish a
      Musher Support Program.

      In Kangiqsualujjuaq, a pilot program is providing fencing, chains and
      hardware to mushers, thanks to help from the Hunter Support Program.
      The community's Qinirtiq Landholding Corporation is supplying
      subsidized high-quality dog food.

      "It's a nice project, where you have the school working with the
      community, with a lot of people taking part," Brazeau said.

      There are already four mushers with dog teams in Kangiqsualujjuaq.
      But, since Ivakaak 2005 and the arrival of the new Inuit dogs,
      Annanack has been approached by more residents who are interested in
      mushing and received many requests for any pure Inuit dogs from the
      future breeding program. Annanack said about half these requests have
      come young adults and teens.

      Annanack has had dogs since he was 12 or 13. His brother, who took
      tourists by dog team along the Ungava Bay coast, was his inspiration.
      He said having a team of his own was "my dream for a long time."

      Annanack believes there is a market for taking tourists out on dog team trips.
      "But my first priority is to get the dogs back."

      Via / By / Excerpted / From / Tip from / Thanks to:

      These materials are Copyright © 1995- 2005 Nortext Publishing
      Corporation (Iqaluit). These materials may not be reprinted for
      commercial publication in print, or any other media, without the
      permission of the publisher.

      Nunatsiaq News
      PO Box 8
      Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
      Ph. (867) 979-5357
      Fax (867) 979-4763
      Editorial e-mail editor@...

      © info
      http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm
      Due to the nature of email & the WWW, check ALL sources.
      This work is licensed under a
      Creative Commons Developing Nations license.
      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/devnations/2.0/