[h-e-w] running microsoft osql from comint buffer

  • Andrew Platts
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11 10:44 AM
      Does anyone know how to run microsoft osql/isql thru
      the sql-ms function provided in sql.el so that
      feedback is given to the buffer as commands are
      executed. Under emacs 21.2 (and probably previous
      versions) you get no prompt or output until you type
      exit - not quite what I was hoping for.

      According to MS documentation osql is a win 32 command
      prompt utility (I'm thinking like sqlplus for ORACLE )
      so I'm not sure why it doesn't operate in an emacs
      buffer in the same way it would from a win 2k command
      propmt window.

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Sprenger, Karel
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11 12:24 PM
        Andrew,

        Just a wild guess: do you follow your SQL command with "go" on a new line? If I do that, I get the output of the command. For example, connecting to the pubs database in the local server:

        select distinct count(*) from authors
        go
        1> 2>
        -----------
        23

        This is with the default isql command processor, but osql works just as well.

        Cheers,
        Karel

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11 4:37 PM
          Karel,

          thanks for te reply - yes I do complete the command
          with 'go' on a newline.

          Are you saying that this is the output you see in your
          emacs *SQLi buffer or when you run the isql command
          'natively' ?

          Andrew
          --- "Sprenger, Karel" <Karel.Sprenger@...>
          wrote:
          > Andrew,
          >
          > Just a wild guess: do you follow your SQL command
          > with "go" on a new line? If I do that, I get the
          > output of the command. For example, connecting to
          > the pubs database in the local server:
          >
          > select distinct count(*) from authors
          > go
          > 1> 2>
          > -----------
          > 23
          >
          > This is with the default isql command processor, but
          > osql works just as well.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Karel

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Sprenger, Karel
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12 10:20 AM
            Andrew,

            It's what I see in the *SQL* buffer. Note that there's no isql/osql prompt when you start sql-ms, so I just entered the commands. I guess it has something to do with buffering in isql/osql.

            BTW, I'm running NTemacs 21.2 ("GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2002-03-19 on buffy" according to M-x emacs-v ersion) on a W2K machine.

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/