PowerPro vs Wingo

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
      I must have goofed posting earlier, my message never showed up.

      Just a heads up that I've removed Wingo, a utility I recommended last
      month and which I've used for years. I replicated its customized menu
      in PowerPro. In Wingo (and now my PowerPro), a roadmap icon stays in
      the System Tray. Right-click it and add items to the menu of aliases.
      Each alias can launch a 1- or 2-pane Explorer window or display a
      menu of Files from the folder. In PowerPro there are many other
      options as well, but this menu keeps things simple. I put a picture
      of my alias menu in our photo album here:

    • Jody
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002

        >I must have goofed posting earlier, my message never showed up.

        I don't think this is the case, but for every eMail address you
        use to post we have to approve the post and take the address out
        of moderation. In the past that was the reason for delayed posts
        from you. I thought you and others might like to know that. ;)
        I think I got both the posts this time. <g>

        Happy Script'n!
        Jody Adair

        UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:ntb-Scripts-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
        http://www.notetab.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
          Jody:

          > I don't think this is the case, but for every eMail address you
          > use to post we have to approve the post and take the address out
          > of moderation.

          Just curious: You and Julie are NOT moderating each individual message,
          but if one of "us" (the loyal Notetabber's and not the idiots who keep
          trying to spam groups with "click here for instant wealth" messages;-)
          sends an email directed to GROUP_NAME@yahoogroups.com and its one of the
          5 or 6 notetab related yahoo groups, then you or Julie have to authorize
          that message (and presumably the sender's email(?) as a new group member
          before it gets added to the online Messages board and (eventually)
          transmitted back to the members at large.

          Is that approximately correct?

          --
          Regards ... Alec

          >> I must have goofed posting earlier, my message never showed up.
          >
          > I don't think this is the case, but for every eMail address you
          > use to post we have to approve the post and take the address out
          > of moderation. In the past that was the reason for delayed posts
          > from you. I thought you and others might like to know that. ;)
          > I think I got both the posts this time. <g>
          >

          > Happy Script'n!
          > Jody Adair
          >
          > UnSubscribe, Options
          > mailto:ntb-Scripts-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          > http://www.notetab.net

        • Jody
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hi Alec,

            I think you are correct. <g> Julie is doing all the NoteTab list
            moderated posts now for me. What a relief after years of doing
            it!!! In short, all first time posters are moderated until they
            are taken out of that status and made to use the group settings.
            The posts that come in moderated just need to be Reply to to let
            pass or ignore if not. They need/should be deleted via the web
            if ignored, but it is easy enough to paste the reject address in
            the To: field. I probably ought to have my PasteBack Library do
            that for me/Julie. :)

            We really did not receive any SPAM to think of until about a
            month ago. Now, some SPAMmer must have wrote a program to get
            list addresses somehow and send SPAM to them with random return
            addresses. We get a few a day when it use to be a few a year;
            not much more anyway.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
              Jody, Julie, anybody else interested:

              I've been lurking on the
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/egroups-discuss-managers/ list.
              If you ignore the "newbie" chatter, it actually provides the odd nugget
              of useful information about quotas, future directions of Yahoo-groups
              etc.

              Apparently almost all yahoo lists are getting spammed by email addresses
              (usually of the form 8-12 random looking letter-numerics with (I think)
              an address of "@..."

              I subscribed to the Install-Rite yahoo group (btw: an excellent free
              program to monitor registry and file changes when intalling programs or
              making other changes whose effects you want to be able to check).

              It seems the original list was abandoned by the program author sometime
              late last year - I'd had zero traffic on it for about 10 months, when I
              started receiving about 1 or 2 of these mails every week or so from this
              group. The first couple I realized were spam, so I just deleted them out
              of hand, but they fooled me once: The message came in with a subject of
              "Install-rite group has moved" and a message that said "click here".
              This actually seemed possible, so I did - BIG MISTAKE!

              I've never seen such aggressive pop-up spawning. Fortunately I was using
              MyIE2 (Netcaptor I'm sure would have given the same protection), and I
              only had to kill the main MyIE2 window, but in IE it would have been a
              guaranteed crash.

              The other lists I'm on (all with active owner-operators) are apparently
              receiving the same barrage and doing the same thing - blocking or
              denying access to these fairly easily identifiable e-mail addies, though
              the odd one slips through.

              Interestingly, the personal use list I set up has not been targeted -
              maybe because its only got 3 or 4 "members" and of the 10 or so messages
              ever received half of them were from Sheri ;-)

              Apparently, the source ISP for these spams has been identified (actually
              a couple of different ISP's). It seems however that the ISP's are
              dragging their heels about stopping it, presumably because they are
              getting revenue from the spammers.

              Just thought you guys might be interested ;-)

              --
              Regards ... Alec

              > I think you are correct. <g> Julie is doing all the NoteTab list
              > moderated posts now for me. What a relief after years of doing
              > it!!! In short, all first time posters are moderated until they
              > are taken out of that status and made to use the group settings.
              > The posts that come in moderated just need to be Reply to to let
              > pass or ignore if not. They need/should be deleted via the web
              > if ignored, but it is easy enough to paste the reject address in
              > the To: field. I probably ought to have my PasteBack Library do
              > that for me/Julie. :)
              >
              > We really did not receive any SPAM to think of until about a
              > month ago. Now, some SPAMmer must have wrote a program to get
              > list addresses somehow and send SPAM to them with random return
              > addresses. We get a few a day when it use to be a few a year;
              > not much more anyway.
              >
              >>> I don't think this is the case, but for every eMail address you
              >>> use to post we have to approve the post and take the address out
              >>> of moderation.
              >>
              >> Just curious: You and Julie are NOT moderating each individual
              >> message, but if one of "us" (the loyal Notetabber's and not the
              >> idiots who keep trying to spam groups with "click here for
              >> instant wealth" messages;-)
              >>
              >> Is that approximately correct?
              >

              > Happy Script'n!
              > Jody Adair
              >
              > UnSubscribe, Options
              > mailto:ntb-Scripts-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              > http://www.notetab.net

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                Hi Jody,

                >We really did not receive any SPAM to think of until about a
                >month ago. Now, some SPAMmer must have wrote a program to get
                >list addresses somehow and send SPAM to them with random return
                >addresses. We get a few a day when it use to be a few a year;
                >not much more anyway.

                They are certainly a pain but easy to ignore and delete in bulk <G>.

                Julie
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                  Hi Alec,

                  >Just curious: You and Julie are NOT moderating each individual message,
                  >but if one of "us" (the loyal Notetabber's and not the idiots who keep
                  >trying to spam groups with "click here for instant wealth" messages;-)
                  >sends an email directed to GROUP_NAME@yahoogroups.com and its one of the
                  >5 or 6 notetab related yahoo groups, then you or Julie have to authorize
                  >that message (and presumably the sender's email(?) as a new group member
                  >before it gets added to the online Messages board and (eventually)
                  >transmitted back to the members at large.

                  I tend to approve the message before changing the poster's moderated
                  status, because I can approve the message by email, but then need to open
                  the browser to change the status. Sometimes, if there are several messages
                  to be approved, a new subscriber might slip through the cracks and stay on
                  moderated status until his/her next post.

                  Julie
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                    Hey Alec,

                    The most recent post on that group seems to be from 11/01. There's another
                    one I find helpful @

                    Julie,
                    sending this also to the Off-Topic list in case anyone wants to continue
                    the discussion there <G>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
                      --- In ntb-scripts@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi Sheri,
                      >
                      > >I must have goofed posting earlier, my message never showed up.
                      >
                      > I don't think this is the case, but for every eMail address you
                      > use to post we have to approve the post and take the address out
                      > of moderation. In the past that was the reason for delayed posts
                      > from you. I thought you and others might like to know that. ;)
                      > I think I got both the posts this time. <g>

                      Hi Jody,

                      If you'll look back, you will see that I haven't used multiple email
                      addresses to post. I usually post directly at the web site.
                      Occasionally I post through Eudora (i.e., when I want to prevent
                      broken lines). Would changing that venue back and forth keep putting
                      me in moderated status? I don't seem to experience long delays when
                      posting to the Clips list either way, so when my post didn't show up
                      here yesterday, I presumed I goofed by clicking Preview instead of
                      Send at the web site.

                    • Jody
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002

                        >If you'll look back, you will see that I haven't used multiple
                        >email addresses to post. I usually post directly at the web
                        >site. Occasionally I post through Eudora (i.e., when I want to
                        >prevent broken lines). Would changing that venue back and forth
                        >keep putting me in moderated status?

                        I must have been dreaming it, or perhaps it is you were not
                        signed up for some of the lists and I assumed you were. It's all
                        water under the bridge now.