boolean+wanyword+(-ransack)

  • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2002
      > ^!Set %SearchFor%=(^%1word%.*^%2word%)|(^%2word%.*^%1word%)|([^^%butnot%])

      The above pattern now searches for the occurence on a single line, but you
      could have \a* instead of .* to find occurences of the two words in a file
      (in NoteTab \a works in any case...)

      Two problems with your regexp, I guess...

      1. You're looking for (Condition1) or (Condition2) or (Condition3). If you
      find either (Condition1) or (Condition2), the third (Condition3) is
      obviously not being searched for anymore, so you cannot exclude any words
      this way...

      2. And if (Condition1) and (Condition2) are NOT true, the negative character
      class you use shows all characters except the letters that appear in
      ^%butnot% (e.g. any non-b, non-u, non-t etc). In most files you'll find
      other letters than that, so in this context it is a meaningless expression.

      I don't think you'll find an easy way (if any) to accomplish the
      NOT-statement with a regular expression. If (Condition1) or (Condition2) is
      met, the butnot word could still be outside the found text. It looks like
      you have to do a two step operation and store the results of the searches to
      decide which files remain in the end.

      Or, and this is the good news: use WANYWORD. I already forgot about it, but
      played with it for this case. With WANYWORD you can define Boolean search
      operations on lines, sentences, pages or files -- I tested it with
      "god+beginning+(-created)" and it didn't find anything <g> (...although I
      had a file with all three strings in them). Help: "If you use more than one
      BOOLEAN operator it is best to use brackets to show WanyWord the order in
      which the textstrings should be operated on."

      Go through the help file once completely (the help is not as slick as you
      could imagine) and I think it suits your needs. You can define
      searchstrings, (sub-)folders, boolean characters, wildcards etc... and
      perform "codeless" searches on HTML and RTF-files. You can refine (research)
      the results of previous searches. You can preview/print/export the results
      in WanyWord itself or in NoteTab...

      End oh yes, it is available (freeware) at:

      http://home4.inet.tele.dk/jensguld/index.html

      HTH,

      Hugo