Re: [NTS] sort R2L, count dupes

  • milan.boran@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
      > So you want a count of how many times something appears ... I get that
      > ... but that sort order is by last character?
      Yes, as if you would read from right to left. Basically backward sort
      or reverse sort (which is different from as/des-cending sort).

      > so 2, 5, e, i, si, su
      > Is that the plan?
      Yes.

      Thanks for looking into this,
      Milan

      ----------
      Legal Note
      This message, incl. potential attachments, is of confidential or
      privileged nature and intended solely for individual/organization
      addressed. If received in error, please notify sender at once and
      destroy. Unintended use of message is forbidden/potentially illegal.
      Salvatory and severance apply, estoppel is void, e.g. in that any
      message or any part thereof shall be valid in their own context.
      ----------
    • jonas_ramus
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

        > ### Before ###
        > hus
        > hus
        > hus
        > hus2
        > hus2
        > hus345
        > hus345
        > hus345
        > hus345
        > hire
        > uni
        > unity
        >
        > ### After ###...

        Running the clip below against...

        hus
        hus
        hus
        hus2
        hus2
        hus345
        hus345
        hus345
        hus345
        hire
        uni
        unity

        the result is...

        hus2 2
        hus2 2
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hire 1
        uni 1
        hus 3
        hus 3
        hus 3
        unity 1

        I hope this is matching your needs. The clip:

        ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
        ^!Toolbar Paste New
        ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
        ^!Delay 5
        ^!Select All
        ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
        ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
        ^!Jump 1
        ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

        :Loop
        ^!Jump Line_End
        ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
        ^!Jump +1
        ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop

        where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...

        # Reverse characters on each line
        BEGIN { FS = "" }
        {
        for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
        printf("\%s",RT)
        }

        The GAWK script is quite fast but the counting of occurrences could be rather slow depending on the amount of lines. Maybe someone could deliver a faster solution for that.

        Regards,
        Flo
      • milan.boran@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
          Hi Flo

          Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
          somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

          > ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
          > ^!Toolbar Paste New
          > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
          > ^!Delay 5
          > ^!Select All
          > ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
          > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
          > ^!Jump 1
          > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
          >
          > :Loop
          > ^!Jump Line_End
          > ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
          > ^!Jump +1
          > ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop
          >

          > where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...
          What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
          does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
          in a text file and then put it where?

          > # Reverse characters on each line
          > BEGIN { FS = "" }
          > {
          > for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
          > printf("\%s",RT)
          > }

          This is great stuff. Just need to figure out the last steps.

          Many thanks for this Easter present,
          Milan

          --

          ----------
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
            --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

            > Hi Flo

            Milan,

            > Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
            > somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

            Copy the clip to clipboard, open any clipbook, and insert the clip with 'Add from clipboard' (using the context menu inside the left pane of the clipbook).

            >> where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters'
            >> is...
            > What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
            > does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
            > in a text file and then put it where?

            Same procedure as above. Please note: You may name the main clip with any name whereas the subclip must be named 'gawk reverse characters' according with the subclip call.

            For more details, see the 'Help on Clip Programming' | Executing Programs | Using Perl, GAWK, and Other Scripts'.

            Regards,
            Flo
          • milan.boran@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
              Yes, this problem has been solved.

              Many thanks to all who helped, especially
              Don, Flo, Jonas, and Thomas.

              Best regards,
              Milan

              --