Re: [NTS] sort R2L, count dupes

  • Thomas Gruber
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
      Hi,
      if you say right to left, do you mean sorting as if the string was reversed in each record? I'd suggest you write a script that creates a new file with the records (=lines) reversed, then sort that.

      Regarding the duplicates: do you just need the count, or do you want to eliminate them? If you want to eliminate them, you could do that first, by sorting normally, finding the duplicates, and removing them - duplicate is duplicate, whether it is reversed or not. If that reduces the record count significantly, you'd save time for the reversing exercise.
      If you really just want the count that doesn't help for the sort exercise of course.
      Kind regards
      Tom

    • milan.boran@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
        Yes, good idea, Don.

        ### Before ###
        hus
        hus
        hus
        hus2
        hus2
        hus345
        hus345
        hus345
        hus345
        hire
        uni
        unity

        ### After ###
        hus2 2
        hus2 2
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hus345 4
        hire 1
        uni 1
        unis 1
        hus 3
        hus 3
        hus 3

        Many thanks for looking into this,
        Milan

        --

        ----------
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
          So you want a count of how many times something appears ... I get that
          ... but that sort order is by last character?

          so 2, 5, e, i, si, su

          Is that the plan?

        • milan.boran@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
            > if you say right to left, do you mean sorting as if the string was reversed in each record?
            Yes, either that, or as if read from the right.

            > I'd suggest you write a script that creates a new file
            > with the records (=lines) reversed, then sort that.
            Just need the count of dupes per string/line/entry.

            > Regarding the duplicates: do you just need the count.
            Only the count. If there is a sorted output, fine, better than not.

            > or do you want to eliminate them?
            No. Notetab already would do that.

            > If you really just want the count that doesn't help for the sort exercise of course.
            Exactly :)

            Many thanks for your help,
            Milan

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
              > So you want a count of how many times something appears ... I get that
              > ... but that sort order is by last character?
              Yes, as if you would read from right to left. Basically backward sort
              or reverse sort (which is different from as/des-cending sort).

              > so 2, 5, e, i, si, su
              > Is that the plan?
              Yes.

              ----------
              Legal Note
              This message, incl. potential attachments, is of confidential or
              privileged nature and intended solely for individual/organization
              addressed. If received in error, please notify sender at once and
              destroy. Unintended use of message is forbidden/potentially illegal.
              Salvatory and severance apply, estoppel is void, e.g. in that any
              message or any part thereof shall be valid in their own context.
              ----------
            • jonas_ramus
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
                --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

                > ### Before ###
                > hus
                > hus
                > hus
                > hus2
                > hus2
                > hus345
                > hus345
                > hus345
                > hus345
                > hire
                > uni
                > unity
                >
                > ### After ###...

                Running the clip below against...

                hus
                hus
                hus
                hus2
                hus2
                hus345
                hus345
                hus345
                hus345
                hire
                uni
                unity

                the result is...

                hus2 2
                hus2 2
                hus345 4
                hus345 4
                hus345 4
                hus345 4
                hire 1
                uni 1
                hus 3
                hus 3
                hus 3
                unity 1

                I hope this is matching your needs. The clip:

                ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
                ^!Toolbar Paste New
                ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                ^!Delay 5
                ^!Select All
                ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
                ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                ^!Jump 1
                ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

                :Loop
                ^!Jump Line_End
                ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
                ^!Jump +1
                ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop

                where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...

                # Reverse characters on each line
                BEGIN { FS = "" }
                {
                for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
                printf("\%s",RT)
                }

                The GAWK script is quite fast but the counting of occurrences could be rather slow depending on the amount of lines. Maybe someone could deliver a faster solution for that.

                Regards,
                Flo
              • milan.boran@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
                  Hi Flo

                  Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
                  somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

                  > ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
                  > ^!Toolbar Paste New
                  > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                  > ^!Delay 5
                  > ^!Select All
                  > ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
                  > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                  > ^!Jump 1
                  > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                  >
                  > :Loop
                  > ^!Jump Line_End
                  > ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
                  > ^!Jump +1
                  > ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop
                  >

                  > where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...
                  What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
                  does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
                  in a text file and then put it where?

                  > # Reverse characters on each line
                  > BEGIN { FS = "" }
                  > {
                  > for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
                  > printf("\%s",RT)
                  > }

                  This is great stuff. Just need to figure out the last steps.

                  Many thanks for this Easter present,
                  Milan

                  --

                  ----------
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 7, 2012
                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Flo

                    Milan,

                    > Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
                    > somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

                    Copy the clip to clipboard, open any clipbook, and insert the clip with 'Add from clipboard' (using the context menu inside the left pane of the clipbook).

                    >> where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters'
                    >> is...
                    > What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
                    > does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
                    > in a text file and then put it where?

                    Same procedure as above. Please note: You may name the main clip with any name whereas the subclip must be named 'gawk reverse characters' according with the subclip call.

                    For more details, see the 'Help on Clip Programming' | Executing Programs | Using Perl, GAWK, and Other Scripts'.

                    Regards,
                    Flo
                  • milan.boran@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
                      Yes, this problem has been solved.

                      Many thanks to all who helped, especially
                      Don, Flo, Jonas, and Thomas.

                      Best regards,
                      Milan

                      --