sort R2L, count dupes

  • milanboran
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 7 4:03 AM
      Hi NTB-Scripters!

      Using NoteTab, right now I try to crack a problem re a large list, ca
      2mio records, stripped all other stuff away, so that only the strings
      that need sorting remain. But I need to sort backwards, from right to
      left. Then the duplicates need to be counted. Right now only the
      R2L-sorting and the dupe-counting remain. Any ideas? Is there a plugin
      for this?

      So far spread sheets or database programs seam not to do it per se or I
      simply do not know how to, yet ;) But it would be much easier, if
      NoteTab could do it right with the text file in it, so no export/import
      would be necessary.

      Any help is much appreciated. This is not an Easter Egg, but you can
      count it as an Easter Greeting :)

      Thank you in advance and best wishes,
      Milan

      --

      ----------
      Legal Note
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7 8:10 AM
        Hi,
        if you say right to left, do you mean sorting as if the string was reversed in each record? I'd suggest you write a script that creates a new file with the records (=lines) reversed, then sort that.

        Regarding the duplicates: do you just need the count, or do you want to eliminate them? If you want to eliminate them, you could do that first, by sorting normally, finding the duplicates, and removing them - duplicate is duplicate, whether it is reversed or not. If that reduces the record count significantly, you'd save time for the reversing exercise.
        If you really just want the count that doesn't help for the sort exercise of course.
        Kind regards
        Tom

        Am 07.04.2012 um 13:03PM schrieb milanboran:

        > Hi NTB-Scripters!
        >
        > Using NoteTab, right now I try to crack a problem re a large list, ca
        > 2mio records, stripped all other stuff away, so that only the strings
        > that need sorting remain. But I need to sort backwards, from right to
        > left. Then the duplicates need to be counted. Right now only the
        > R2L-sorting and the dupe-counting remain. Any ideas? Is there a plugin
        > for this?
        >
        > So far spread sheets or database programs seam not to do it per se or I
        > simply do not know how to, yet ;) But it would be much easier, if
        > NoteTab could do it right with the text file in it, so no export/import
        > would be necessary.
        >
        > Any help is much appreciated. This is not an Easter Egg, but you can
        > count it as an Easter Greeting :)
        >
        > Thank you in advance and best wishes,
        > Milan
        >
        > --
        >
        > ----------
        > Legal Note
        > This message, incl. potential attachments, is of confidential or
        > privileged nature and intended solely for individual/organization
        > addressed. If received in error, please notify sender at once and
        > destroy. Unintended use of message is forbidden/potentially illegal.
        > Salvatory and severance apply, estoppel is void, e.g. in that any
        > message or any part thereof shall be valid in their own context.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7 10:21 AM
          While I'm sure we can figure it out with a script/clip, I'm clueless
          what you are talking about.

          Maybe a small before and after sample and you will get a much bigger
          response on the clips list. I'll copy there and await your example.

        • milan.boran@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7 10:26 AM
            Yes, good idea, Don.

            ### Before ###
            hus
            hus
            hus
            hus2
            hus2
            hus345
            hus345
            hus345
            hus345
            hire
            uni
            unity

            ### After ###
            hus2 2
            hus2 2
            hus345 4
            hus345 4
            hus345 4
            hus345 4
            hire 1
            uni 1
            unis 1
            hus 3
            hus 3
            hus 3

            Many thanks for looking into this,
            Milan

            --

            ----------
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7 10:39 AM
              So you want a count of how many times something appears ... I get that
              ... but that sort order is by last character?

              so 2, 5, e, i, si, su

              Is that the plan?

            • milan.boran@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 7 10:39 AM
                > if you say right to left, do you mean sorting as if the string was reversed in each record?
                Yes, either that, or as if read from the right.

                > I'd suggest you write a script that creates a new file
                > with the records (=lines) reversed, then sort that.
                Just need the count of dupes per string/line/entry.

                > Regarding the duplicates: do you just need the count.
                Only the count. If there is a sorted output, fine, better than not.

                > or do you want to eliminate them?
                No. Notetab already would do that.

                > If you really just want the count that doesn't help for the sort exercise of course.
                Exactly :)

                Many thanks for your help,
                Milan

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7 10:42 AM
                  > So you want a count of how many times something appears ... I get that
                  > ... but that sort order is by last character?
                  Yes, as if you would read from right to left. Basically backward sort
                  or reverse sort (which is different from as/des-cending sort).

                  > so 2, 5, e, i, si, su
                  > Is that the plan?
                  Yes.

                  ----------
                  Legal Note
                  This message, incl. potential attachments, is of confidential or
                  privileged nature and intended solely for individual/organization
                  addressed. If received in error, please notify sender at once and
                  destroy. Unintended use of message is forbidden/potentially illegal.
                  Salvatory and severance apply, estoppel is void, e.g. in that any
                  message or any part thereof shall be valid in their own context.
                  ----------
                • jonas_ramus
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 7 3:22 PM
                    --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

                    > ### Before ###
                    > hus
                    > hus
                    > hus
                    > hus2
                    > hus2
                    > hus345
                    > hus345
                    > hus345
                    > hus345
                    > hire
                    > uni
                    > unity
                    >
                    > ### After ###...

                    Running the clip below against...

                    hus
                    hus
                    hus
                    hus2
                    hus2
                    hus345
                    hus345
                    hus345
                    hus345
                    hire
                    uni
                    unity

                    the result is...

                    hus2 2
                    hus2 2
                    hus345 4
                    hus345 4
                    hus345 4
                    hus345 4
                    hire 1
                    uni 1
                    hus 3
                    hus 3
                    hus 3
                    unity 1

                    I hope this is matching your needs. The clip:

                    ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
                    ^!Toolbar Paste New
                    ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                    ^!Delay 5
                    ^!Select All
                    ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
                    ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                    ^!Jump 1
                    ^!SetScreenUpdate Off

                    :Loop
                    ^!Jump Line_End
                    ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
                    ^!Jump +1
                    ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop

                    where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...

                    # Reverse characters on each line
                    BEGIN { FS = "" }
                    {
                    for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
                    printf("\%s",RT)
                    }

                    The GAWK script is quite fast but the counting of occurrences could be rather slow depending on the amount of lines. Maybe someone could deliver a faster solution for that.

                    Regards,
                    Flo
                  • milan.boran@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 7 6:58 PM
                      Hi Flo

                      Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
                      somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

                      > ^!Menu Edit/Copy All
                      > ^!Toolbar Paste New
                      > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                      > ^!Delay 5
                      > ^!Select All
                      > ^$StrSort("^$GetSelection$";0;1;0)$
                      > ^!RunGawk "gawk reverse characters"
                      > ^!Jump 1
                      > ^!SetScreenUpdate Off
                      >
                      > :Loop
                      > ^!Jump Line_End
                      > ^!InsertText ^%SPACE%^$StrCount("^$GetLine$";"^$GetText$";0;1)$
                      > ^!Jump +1
                      > ^!IfEmpty ^$GetLine$ End Else Loop
                      >

                      > where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters' -- is...
                      What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
                      does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
                      in a text file and then put it where?

                      > # Reverse characters on each line
                      > BEGIN { FS = "" }
                      > {
                      > for (i=NF;i>0;i--) printf("%s",$i)
                      > printf("\%s",RT)
                      > }

                      This is great stuff. Just need to figure out the last steps.

                      Many thanks for this Easter present,
                      Milan

                      --

                      ----------
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7 9:45 PM
                        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "milan.boran@..." <milan.boran@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Flo

                        Milan,

                        > Doing this the 1st time, do I put this into a text file and name it
                        > somehow and load it as a clip or so into NoteTab? Please advise.

                        Copy the clip to clipboard, open any clipbook, and insert the clip with 'Add from clipboard' (using the context menu inside the left pane of the clipbook).

                        >> where the GAWK script -- placed in a subsclip named 'gawk reverse characters'
                        >> is...
                        > What should I do here? Save this following part as a subclip? But what
                        > does that mean, a subroutine, I know, but in terms of action, save it
                        > in a text file and then put it where?

                        Same procedure as above. Please note: You may name the main clip with any name whereas the subclip must be named 'gawk reverse characters' according with the subclip call.

                        For more details, see the 'Help on Clip Programming' | Executing Programs | Using Perl, GAWK, and Other Scripts'.

                        Regards,
                        Flo
                      • milan.boran@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 20 5:00 AM
                          Yes, this problem has been solved.

                          Many thanks to all who helped, especially
                          Don, Flo, Jonas, and Thomas.

                          Best regards,
                          Milan

                          --