Re: [NTS] Re: regular expression to find anything up to two spacesin a row ...

  • Don
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2011
      Thanks Axel, I did respond to much of that right away, but I guess
      missed the "may or may not occur" part -- they will always occur on each
      line or the line will be skipped, so it is not multiline (#1 removed),
      #2 removed, always exists, #3 is true but I'm just trying to terminate
      this field so no matter on them, #4 is true, should be one per line,
      won't be two, #5 falls as a results of #4 :-)

      I really appreciate your time and that of all the others. I have
      learned a great deal from this one "simple" question, even if mal-formed
      and insufficiently detailed at the start.

      I have been using regex buddy more and more (used to just use regex
      coach) and it is teaching me to also write regex with thought to what I
      don't want maybe even more than what I do want. One of their first
      examples highlights this and points out that you may not need to be as
      careful if you have pre-validated and properly formed data -- in your
      case you had neither :-)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2011
        On 2011-06-22 11:31, Don wrote:
        > I have been using regex buddy more and more (used to just use regex
        > coach) and it is teaching me to also write regex with thought to what I
        > don't want maybe even more than what I do want.
        RegexBuddy is great. I can never remember the syntax for the four
        lookaround patterns and often open it up just for that :-)
        One caveat - the version of PCRE they use/emulate(?) is a couple behind
        the latest which Sheri and Eric have been keeping current.

        The two that I would most like to see are \R (easy to workaround - use
        \r\n) and \K - once I finally figured out how this works in Notetab I
        sometimes have to code the regex a little less easily in RegexBuddy.