Re: [Clip] Hope this is the correct board...Need help Please...

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2009
      Hi Rudi,

      > Hopefully, you folks are less arrogant than Julian, and allow me to have a pro-active exchange¬°K

      Julian is not arrogant! He is following Fookes Software support
      policies. Here's a quote from our support page:

      "Please note that Fookes Software representatives cannot provide
      in-depth end-user training. We can assist you if you are having a
      technical problem, but we cannot teach you how to use the software, to
      create or modify templates, or to develop scripts and regular expression
      searches."

      Julian is an employee and receives a salary for his work in providing
      users FREE technical support. For reasons I'm sure you can understand,
      this free support cannot be unlimited. Otherwise we would have to charge
      for it or go out of business.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2009
        Hi Eric,

        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

        > Julian is not arrogant! He is following Fookes Software support
        > policies. Here's a quote from our support page:

        I don't think it is productive for Julian to say essentially "we don't have time to help you," which regardless of the accuracy sounds arrogant. I also doubt the exclamation point on your response is going to change the perception. IMO the customer is always right, even if the product is free. :D

        I would suggest customer support respond to similar inquiries with something more like this:

        "While help with scripts and regular expressions is beyond the scope of customer technical support, we have active and helpful user forums".

      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2009

          > I don't think it is productive for Julian to say essentially "we
          > don't have time to help you," which regardless of the accuracy sounds
          > arrogant. I also doubt the exclamation point on your response is
          > going to change the perception. IMO the customer is always right,
          > even if the product is free. :D

          I'm often surprised how we perceive things differently across the
          Atlantic. I don't see it that way but respect your opinion.

          > I would suggest customer support respond to similar inquiries with
          > something more like this:
          >
          > "While help with scripts and regular expressions is beyond the scope
          > of customer technical support, we have active and helpful user
          > forums".

          Thanks for your suggestion :)

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 19, 2009
            Hi Eric,

            Since this is the notetab scripts list I figure it's pretty sturdy and
            can handle an off topic post.

            I wrote back too (however your email address rejected me in my attempt
            for a private direct communication) and suggested that you might better
            have let the water roll off your back. Rudi has apologized, but I
            understand he was frustrated. He probably over-reacted [here I inserted
            a movie reference] but I also get what he was saying. He had a belief
            that the product would do what he wanted, but needed to know before
            purchasing the pro version.

            Notetab is the BEST software thing that has ever happened to me.
            JingProject.com is a close second I'll say. In any event, I agree with
            Sheri's assessment of how to better handle such an inquiry in the future.

            If it makes any of us feel better, Jody occasionally rubbed someone the
            wrong way as well ... and we all know how loved he was by our community
            ... so notetab is alive and well ;-) and Jody isn't forgotten.

            Now lets all have a group hug and get back to what we do best,
            processing files!

            A huge fan of Fookes,

            Don Passenger
            Stateside/Middle

            p.s. I remember how baffled I was by regex for several years -- and here
            I solved the issue with regex apparently. Now I still don't get half of
            Sheri's and Flo's regex solutions ... but I can sometimes decipher them
            in less than an hour now.