Re: Search and replace Regular Expression

  • Steve B
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
      thanks for the replies, i am still digesting what was given.:)

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
        Steve: I'll bet your mind is reeling, especially if you tried to digest
        everything in Sheri's excellent reference PDF in one pass.
        Another you might want to have a look at (less scrolling and repetition)
        but denser presentation is: http://www.regular-expressions.info/

        Its the "I'm feeling lucky"(#1 hit) if you just google [regular expressions]
        In fact it's #1 on all of the big three Google, Bing and Yahoo (check
        with http://blindsearch.fejus.com/ ) 8-)
        <aside> I wonder how Jan Goyvaerts, author of RegexBuddy, managed to
        establish and maintain that position? </aside>

        I just want to point out that your original question (joining split
        lines back into one) can be handled in Notetab by menu-Modify-Lines-Join
        Lines (aka Ctrl+J) and well worth putting its button on your toolbar.
        Just select the lines you want joined and issue Ctrl+J or select
        multiple groups of split lines separated by blank lines and do them all
        with one key press.

        That said, I hope you continue with exploring regular expressions - once
        you achieve a little bit of comfort with them you'll find many other
        programs in addition to Notetab where they can be used.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hello Steve,

          A month ago I posted an extensive list and discussion of RegEx
          resources on the NoteTab Clips group:

          Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:57:46 -0700
          Subject: [Clip] RegEx Resources

          There are links to tutorials that are understandable by newbies. I found
          them to be very helpful and also good refreshers. The built-in NoteTab
          RegEx help file is basically a regurgitation of the official RegEx spec
          written by Philip Hazel. It was written as a reference document, not as
          a tutorial and assumes you already know what a RegEx is.

          The Perl.org tutorials start from the basic "hello world" level and have
          lots of examples. Just ignore the Perl specific syntax and absorb the
          RegEx info. The perlrequick document is a good tool to print out and
          keep handy.

          To the Group: I suspect I am not the only one who didn't realize (or
          forgot), that this is one of two overlapping NoteTab groups on Yahoo.
          This one (NoteTab Scripts) seems to have almost the same agenda
          as NoteTab Clips. Both deal with clips and both deal with RegEx.

          Why two groups??? It's been years since I set up my email filters so
          any distinction is long lost and I have been operating on automatic
          ever since. It would seem that, short of dual posting, a lot of info and
          interested audience is lost. I would guess that not every one is signed
          up with both groups.

          Namaste', Art

          At 07-18-2009 08:21, you wrote:
          >I am a complete greenhorn with reg exp so sorry if this has been answered
          >or its a stupid question.
          <snip>