Re: Search and replace Regular Expression

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
      --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
      > > Is there an online tutorial somewhere?
      >
      > Hmmn, a link that I had for a good tutorial isn't working
      > anymore. I will see if I can find my copy of the file and if so
      > will post it in the files area of this group. However, the most
      > uptodate info on the version of PCRE regex supported by NoteTab
      > is in the regex.chm file in the NoteTab application folder.

      Found it (newer date, but looks about the same as the older one I had):

      <http://gravitonic.com/c/dl.php?file=talks/php-quebec-2009/regex-clinic.pdf>

    • Steve B
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
        thanks for the replies, i am still digesting what was given.:)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
          Steve: I'll bet your mind is reeling, especially if you tried to digest
          everything in Sheri's excellent reference PDF in one pass.
          Another you might want to have a look at (less scrolling and repetition)
          but denser presentation is: http://www.regular-expressions.info/

          Its the "I'm feeling lucky"(#1 hit) if you just google [regular expressions]
          In fact it's #1 on all of the big three Google, Bing and Yahoo (check
          with http://blindsearch.fejus.com/ ) 8-)
          <aside> I wonder how Jan Goyvaerts, author of RegexBuddy, managed to
          establish and maintain that position? </aside>

          I just want to point out that your original question (joining split
          lines back into one) can be handled in Notetab by menu-Modify-Lines-Join
          Lines (aka Ctrl+J) and well worth putting its button on your toolbar.
          Just select the lines you want joined and issue Ctrl+J or select
          multiple groups of split lines separated by blank lines and do them all
          with one key press.

          That said, I hope you continue with exploring regular expressions - once
          you achieve a little bit of comfort with them you'll find many other
          programs in addition to Notetab where they can be used.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
            Hello Steve,

            A month ago I posted an extensive list and discussion of RegEx
            resources on the NoteTab Clips group:

            Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:57:46 -0700
            Subject: [Clip] RegEx Resources

            There are links to tutorials that are understandable by newbies. I found
            them to be very helpful and also good refreshers. The built-in NoteTab
            RegEx help file is basically a regurgitation of the official RegEx spec
            written by Philip Hazel. It was written as a reference document, not as
            a tutorial and assumes you already know what a RegEx is.

            The Perl.org tutorials start from the basic "hello world" level and have
            lots of examples. Just ignore the Perl specific syntax and absorb the
            RegEx info. The perlrequick document is a good tool to print out and
            keep handy.

            To the Group: I suspect I am not the only one who didn't realize (or
            forgot), that this is one of two overlapping NoteTab groups on Yahoo.
            This one (NoteTab Scripts) seems to have almost the same agenda
            as NoteTab Clips. Both deal with clips and both deal with RegEx.

            Why two groups??? It's been years since I set up my email filters so
            any distinction is long lost and I have been operating on automatic
            ever since. It would seem that, short of dual posting, a lot of info and
            interested audience is lost. I would guess that not every one is signed
            up with both groups.

            Namaste', Art

            At 07-18-2009 08:21, you wrote:
            >I am a complete greenhorn with reg exp so sorry if this has been answered
            >or its a stupid question.
            <snip>