Re: [NTS] Search and replace Regular Expression

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
      replace this
      ([a-z])\r\n([a-z])
      with this
      $1 $2

      Putting something in () means it is captured as a subpattern that can
      then be put back in the replace.

      [a-z] is a lowercase letter
      \r\n is a return character

      so you are looking for lower case letter followed by a return and then
      replacing it with the same lower case letter, a space, the same lower
      case letter

      You can do it with a clip or search and replace.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
        --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Steve B" <kalukee@...> wrote:

        > I am a complete greenhorn with reg exp so sorry if this has been answered or its a stupid question.
        >
        > I want to replace all occurences of
        >
        > LOwerCaseletter^PLOwerCaseletter with
        > LOwerCaseletterSPACELOwerCaseletter
        >
        > When i do a save as *.txt of a pdf file the txt shows up as
        >
        > This is a really
        > really long sentence
        > that
        > doesnt say
        > much.
        > I want it to say
        >
        > This is a really really long sentence that doesnt say much.

        Try this, should also work from the replace dialog.

        ^!Replace "(?-i)[a-z]\K\x20*$\R" >> "\x20" RAWS0

        It says:

        (?-i) not case insensitive
        [a-z] a character that is in the range of lower case a-z
        \K says leave out the part preceding when forming the match that will get replaced (iow, leave the lower case a-z character)
        \x20* would match any number (or zero) spaces
        $ matches at the end of a line (but consumes no characters)
        \R matches the line breaking characters that follow the end of the line

        "\x20" is hex for one space.

        It is only going to replace any empty spaces and line breaking characters provided that they follow a lower case letter.

        Actually to precisely do what you asked could be done with:

        ^!Replace "(?-i)[a-z]$\K\R([a-z])" >> "\x20$1" RAWS0

        Then it doesn't worry about possibly empty spaces at line ends and requires a lower case letter after the line break, which it captures as $1 for the replacement.

        > Is there an online tutorial somewhere?

        Hmmn, a link that I had for a good tutorial isn't working anymore. I will see if I can find my copy of the file and if so will post it in the files area of this group. However, the most uptodate info on the version of PCRE regex supported by NoteTab is in the regex.chm file in the NoteTab application folder.

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2009
          I have the tutorial you sent a while back Sheri, it is a microsoft
          powerpoint or something, but I made a text copy I use myself :-)

          \K is my learning for the day I guess ... wow, so that essentially
          leaves everything before the \K untouched on replacement?

          Is notetab case insensitive by default so that we should use the -i?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
            --- In ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
            > > Is there an online tutorial somewhere?
            >
            > Hmmn, a link that I had for a good tutorial isn't working
            > anymore. I will see if I can find my copy of the file and if so
            > will post it in the files area of this group. However, the most
            > uptodate info on the version of PCRE regex supported by NoteTab
            > is in the regex.chm file in the NoteTab application folder.

            Found it (newer date, but looks about the same as the older one I had):

            <http://gravitonic.com/c/dl.php?file=talks/php-quebec-2009/regex-clinic.pdf>

          • Steve B
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
              thanks for the replies, i am still digesting what was given.:)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2009
                Steve: I'll bet your mind is reeling, especially if you tried to digest
                everything in Sheri's excellent reference PDF in one pass.
                Another you might want to have a look at (less scrolling and repetition)
                but denser presentation is: http://www.regular-expressions.info/

                Its the "I'm feeling lucky"(#1 hit) if you just google [regular expressions]
                In fact it's #1 on all of the big three Google, Bing and Yahoo (check
                with http://blindsearch.fejus.com/ ) 8-)
                <aside> I wonder how Jan Goyvaerts, author of RegexBuddy, managed to
                establish and maintain that position? </aside>

                I just want to point out that your original question (joining split
                lines back into one) can be handled in Notetab by menu-Modify-Lines-Join
                Lines (aka Ctrl+J) and well worth putting its button on your toolbar.
                Just select the lines you want joined and issue Ctrl+J or select
                multiple groups of split lines separated by blank lines and do them all
                with one key press.

                That said, I hope you continue with exploring regular expressions - once
                you achieve a little bit of comfort with them you'll find many other
                programs in addition to Notetab where they can be used.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Hello Steve,

                  A month ago I posted an extensive list and discussion of RegEx
                  resources on the NoteTab Clips group:

                  Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 23:57:46 -0700
                  Subject: [Clip] RegEx Resources

                  There are links to tutorials that are understandable by newbies. I found
                  them to be very helpful and also good refreshers. The built-in NoteTab
                  RegEx help file is basically a regurgitation of the official RegEx spec
                  written by Philip Hazel. It was written as a reference document, not as
                  a tutorial and assumes you already know what a RegEx is.

                  The Perl.org tutorials start from the basic "hello world" level and have
                  lots of examples. Just ignore the Perl specific syntax and absorb the
                  RegEx info. The perlrequick document is a good tool to print out and
                  keep handy.

                  To the Group: I suspect I am not the only one who didn't realize (or
                  forgot), that this is one of two overlapping NoteTab groups on Yahoo.
                  This one (NoteTab Scripts) seems to have almost the same agenda
                  as NoteTab Clips. Both deal with clips and both deal with RegEx.

                  Why two groups??? It's been years since I set up my email filters so
                  any distinction is long lost and I have been operating on automatic
                  ever since. It would seem that, short of dual posting, a lot of info and
                  interested audience is lost. I would guess that not every one is signed
                  up with both groups.

                  Namaste', Art

                  At 07-18-2009 08:21, you wrote:
                  >I am a complete greenhorn with reg exp so sorry if this has been answered
                  >or its a stupid question.
                  <snip>